Music Banter - View Single Post - Pink Floyd "Endless River"
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Brave newcomer, Floydy, who goes against the flow with your enthusiasm for this album! but yes, MB is a great place for swapping views - in fact we rather thrive on contrary opinions, so I hope you stick around.

Perhaps I´m not doing the album full justice, as I´ve only heard six minutes of It´s what we do, but I´m already overwhelmed with a soporific sense of deja vu. What sad irony that a band which was once a by-word for innovative music has chosen to lock itself into such a depressingly retro style.

(My apologies if I dent in any way your own perfectly valid enthusiasm, Floydy. Enjoy what your heart tells you to, and don´t worry about tedious wet blankets on the internet, ok?)

^ Sorry to sound pedantic, ContrivedN, but I have to wonder what this means - translated from what to what ?!
It's no worry, Lisna. I can understand why you'd want me to elaborate on that, and I'll try.

This album wants to be grand, it wants to be epic, it wants to flow fluently but it gets in the way of itself. I think it was Ki that said that the album has its moments, but in those same songs, the album stonewalls itself or hits a wall. Parts of the album start of like they're going to go to that grand place we know Pink Floyd can go, that catches your attention fully...but, it never really happens here. So if the band aimed to take this material that they had around, and rework them in to an album that could live up to what other albums they've done lived up to, that's where it got last in translation. Because while this sounds like a Pink Floyd album, it lacks that certain charm or ambition their other albums mostly all had. This album just sounds...empty, dull.

Well, there is your explanation, I tried. Sorry if it doesn't help you understand what I meant, but at least I know what I meant by it haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neardeathexperience View Post
I don't really know what you were thinking you were going to hear here.....
It sounds like Pink Floyd. Perhaps not Dark Side Of The Moon, or the Wall for that matter, but if you think there is no colour on the canvas here perhaps you should get better paints. I believe from a pure artistic standpoint musically they deliver what they always have. A interesting collection of songs that are not bound by a three and a half minute requirement for consumer consumption.
I acknowledge your points, but you make it sound as though I said this album doesn't have anything worth while. Yeah, it sounds pretty, but it is still a boring kind of pretty, if you get what I mean. But interesting? I don't agree there. This collection of songs doesn't engage me much at all. I could put on other albums by them, and be fully immersed. This album did little for me. And I also can't agree that they delivered what they always have. I have listened to Pink Floyd for a good length of time. And this is not what they band has always delivered. Not to me, it isn't.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote