Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck on a Frownapilago
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
The album consists of three tracks. The title track opener runs 43 minutes long and the following pieces, "Summer Heat" and "The Second Fortress" are 11 and 10 minutes long, respectively. "Sun Blindness Music" is Cale on a synthesizer playing a chord and changing the settings on the synth. Given the time it was recorded, Cale was working on an analogue synth that looks something like this:

Or maybe this:

That makes me hard.
Lies. That is a picture of a Korg MS-20 mini, it is a recent reproduction of the original MS-20. The MS-20 mini was release ~35 years after the original was created and is 86% the size. The Korg MS 20 which was released in 1978. John Cale recorded that album from 1964 to '66 and there is no way possible he could had been able to use an instrument circa 1978 in 1964. And the second picture is one of a Modular synth, those things were mightily expensive, and I doubt he owned one or had access to one. I never heard him or anyone else mention he played a modular synth in 1964 especially since they were still in the developmental stage. In my non-expertise opinion the instrument that Cale used sounds simply like an air-organ.

What I think John Cale did was use Vox that was available during the 60s organ and tape loops. And what made me come to that conclusion? I actually looked things up on Wikipedia :rollseyes:. There is a bit a audio-distortion. Which could come from various sources like using cheap equipment such as microphones or having the recording level too high, or the inevitable wear of magnetic tape.

Are there moments where it sounds like a analog synth, yes, but only the notes on the lower register. You can heard chords and runs that have a organ-like sound. That's another thing that bothers me is that I don't see how you confused the two, a monophonic Synthesizer with a polyphonic organ?

Anyway besides all the mis-information it was an interesting pick.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 11-17-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote