Music Banter - View Single Post - Pink Floyd "Endless River"
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Heathen Dance
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydy View Post
From the lukewarm and largely mediocre reviews of this final release, I wasn’t expecting very much from my favourite band, though dearly hoping that I wouldn’t be too disappointed. The main reason for this was that the album was decidedly and emphatically going to be an instrumental album. The word used being ‘ambient’, which suggests a mellow, soundscape-type recording perhaps in the vein of ‘Tubular Bells’ or something noodling like that. My immediate thoughts were “why?” and how strange that there were not going to be any vocals apart from the final song (of 18 tracks) which presumably was made so that we had a promotional single for the radio.

What it is, you see, is a tribute in the most part to Floyd keyboardist and effects wizard Richard Wright who died in 2008. All of the music features his playing, the sound arguably which defined the band – alongside David Gilmour’s unmistakeable guitar. And the record is far, far from being mellow…

After a brief introductory sound effects piece, which was always the norm on a Pink Floyd album, the music comes in. And does it just. Loudly, it positively CRASHES its way in like a juggernaut. I actually turned my headphone selector down a notch and almost leapt from the floor where I was situated for this event. Nick Mason’s drums have never sounded so powerful, so up to the forefront of a Floyd album and it’s a joy to behold. Gilmour’s guitars are incredible. He never disappoints of course but he even excels his own considerable talents on this record. For the next hour the listener is subjected to a wonderful and incredibly well-produced album and when the final ‘song’ “Louder Than Words” ends the disc, it’s almost as if it doesn’t belong; As if the album perhaps SHOULD have been wholly instrumental, being the technically sound occasion that it is.

To this listener at least, it’s a magnificent record.
Interesting review. I haven't heard "Endless River" yet. Lots of great albums have bad feedback. Sometimes it's even a good thing. And I didn't know this one was mostly instrumental. I assume that will push away most people, who connect mostly with the singing. I love The Division Bell, and I'm looking forward to listen to this one.
Heathen Dance is offline   Reply With Quote