Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM   #271 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Briks finds something on Bandcamp

Artist: Kairon; IRSE!
Album: Ujubasajuba
Year: 2014
Genre: Shoegaze

I was just minding my own business, browsing Rateyourmusic, when I had a look at the main page. Among the reviews on the left was an album cover that caught my attention: a crude illustration of some blue, grinning creature enjoying a drink of what might be blood. The reviewer called it “brutal post-rock”, and I immediately thought of Deafheaven. So I looked the band up, found them on Bandcamp, and downloaded the album.

The first thing I heard when putting it on was some hard drums, reinforcing my expectations of something extreme metal-tinged, but when the guitars kicked in, the first that came to my mind was Oasis. Yup. But that quicky passed, as it then evolved into something unlike anything I'd ever heard before. The sound was overall washed-out with lots of reverb, the guitars were mellow, but regularly turned into crushing walls of noise and distortion, and in midst of it all were the vocals, dreamy and ghost-like, singing lyrics in... Finnish, I assume? The band is from Finland, so that makes sense. I'm not going to talk about each track, as everything on this sounds pretty similar, but I'm praising the album as a whole. Go listen to it, right now. It's on Bandcamp, and you can download it for free (though I guess the band would appreciate it if you spared them a few name your price-dollars). I don't know how this holds up against the shoegaze classics, as I have pretty much no knowledge of the genre, but I dig it anyway.

4.5/5
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote