Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #351 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
Very moving piece Vegan. You have a nice, soft, and sincere vocal quality. The middle section with the violins really stood out for me. I know combining all those elements that you used can be quite a task, but you pulled it off nicely. Well done!

I'm sure your Father would be very proud of you.
Thank you, Plankton, for your feedback. I am glad the violin section was most memorable because that was the part I thought my dad would like!

I am pleased and somewhat surprised to hear that my vocal quality sounded sincere, because I wasn't sure how much emotion would be conveyed through the vocals since I was intentionally using no vibrato. I was shooting for the vibrato-free sound of an English boys choir or of some pop artists who have a simple, clear, direct sound. I'm glad the sincerity came through to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Erica, so glad you finished recording “Mayday” and thank you for sharing it with us. I love your clear, sincere voice (as Plankton stated), which I find very moving on all your recordings. I also agree that the middle section is stunning: 2:31 – 3:15 is one of the best strings-piano compositions I’ve ever heard. I’ve listened to it several times now, and it brought tear to my eyes each time. It brings the character of your father straight to the heart. The guitar works well in evoking a sort of frustrating undertow throughout the piece. I know hard you struggled to take care of your dad toward the end of his life, and I’m sure that meant so much to him. If any song could make your father appreciate “rock elements”, it’s this one.

Your father would be very proud of you, indeed.
Liz, thank you for listening so thoughtfully to the piece and for telling me the strings-piano portion from 2:31 - 3:15 brought tears to your eyes several times!

Knowing I made music that moved you really gives me a sense of accomplishment with this song. The strings-piano section *did* evoke the character of my dad to me. I'm really touched that it created a sense in you of what my dad's character was like.

My dad used to say that sometimes in his sleep, he would dream of the most beautiful compositions, the most moving he had ever heard, but he could never completely remember his dreamed creations when he awoke. I wanted the piano-strings section of this song to evoke the music that I imagined my dad heard in his dreams.

You commented that the middle section is (let me read it again) "stunning" (Ooo!!) and "is one of the best strings-piano compositions" you've ever heard (Double Ooo!). Now I will be strutting around all day while thinking, "I made one of the best strings-piano compositions that ribbons has ever heard!!" Strut, strut, strut.

Finally, I'm really pleased you thought the electric guitar evokes a sort of frustrating undertow throughout the piece, because that was what I hoped it would do. My dad hated distorted guitar. He liked the smoothness of clear sounds. But gosh, the dying process as I've observed it feels like the sound of unrelenting distorted electric guitar: uncontrolled, gritty, raw, but also somehow very pure.

Thank you for listening so closely to "Mayday" and telling me how it affected you, Liz.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote