Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #276 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Briks' 2000th post

Artist: Ozzy Osbourne
Album: The Ultimate Sin
Year: 1986
Genre: Heavy/glam metal

Wpnfire (grats on getting an avatar, bro) asked me to listen to and review this album. I listened to Blizzard of Ozz a while back, and it striked me as inconsistent and even annoying at times. Randy Rhoads' guitar work was excellent, but the songs were all average, and Ozzy's vocal performance pretty much sucked. This left me with a pretty bad impression of Ozzy's solo career, so I had my doubts about this. But here goes:

Randy Rhoads had died a few years back, so obviously he isn't featured on the album, but Jake E. Lee is a pretty impressive guitarist as well. A pop element has been added to the songs, and it kind of works. It's better than Blizzard, anyway. Most of the tracks are decent, though not in any way moving, but four of them are better than the others: "Never Know Why", "Killer of Giants" (though I don't agree with Wpn on it being an anthem for the ages), "Shot in the Dark" and "Secret Loser". Especially that last one. It's hella catchy and has made its way into my old-school metal playlist, even though it's pretty cheesy (like the rest of the album).

3/5
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote