Music Banter - View Single Post - WD's Hella Sick Journal of Undisputable Radness
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
GuD
Dude... What?

So I do have to owe my dues and write a review for FIDLAR. Their discography is small and most of their best tracks are actually unreleased and only available on their youtube channel. If you were lucky enough to be in LA around 2010-2011, owned a skateboard, ever wrote your name on a building, or just happened to be hip, you might've seen FIDLAR play one of their epic basement/house shows. Sadly I don't remember my evening with FIDLAR. But it had to have been fun. Anyways,

ASSORTED RELEASES by FIDLAR

Fuck it dog, life's a risk. It's what you say when you smoke meth for the first time. Or are about to try and hop a no-comply up a couple stairs, manual around a corner, and slap a boneless off the same stairs. It's what you say when you hit the liquor store for a Fifth after taking bonghits in the back seat. And a band once called Fuck the Clock took that ethos for their namesake. Their sound is hardly original- loud, trebly, surfy garage rock/punk with some indie rock and pop sensibilities. What sets them apart is their otherwise indescribable craziness. Youtube links are below and if you pay attention their lyrics are fun, maniacal tales of drug and alcohol induced-shenanigans. But they've also got a sweet, or bittersweet, side to them. Max and Elvis, brothers if you could believe it from looking at them, are sons of TSOL's keyboardist and grew up listening to punk rock. Max, a surfer transplant from Hawaii, is all of 5'5 tall and the most laid back dude you ever met. After Brandon, their bassist. Rumors have it that Brandon is really into corny 80s R&B, vegan cooking, and sweaters... in LA. 'Nuff chatter, then. Onto the songs, my favorite songs, by one of my favorite bands:

That chugging in the beginning. The maniacal bleeting. That scream... yes. 10 seconds in and you know shit's going down. I dare you to listen to this song with any kind of liquor around and not be tempted to shotgun that ****. The lyrics? In the first verse?

"ME AND MY FRIENDS IN A HUNDRED DOLLAR VOLVO
BUSTING DOWN THE STREET CRUISING DOWN THE ROAD
GETTING ****ED UP ON THE 101
SHOOTING OUR GUNS AND HAVING FUN
40 BEERS LATER AND A LINE OF SPEED
8 BALL BLOW AND A HALF A POUND OF WEED
HEADING DOWN THE TRACKS TO MEXICO
FUCKED ON BEER NOT STAYING HOME"

We don't know why they're going to Mexico but it's safe to assume they're running from somebody. This song is crazy. It gets you pumped. The video for it is awesome. Though as a fan of both cheap and fancy beer, I do feel alienated just the tinsiest. I recall having a FIDLAR night, blasting this song on the bus while drinking a 12$ bottle because poshboyoverhere and feeling a little disingenuous. But, this is not really their craziest song. It's kind of a tie between this one, Crackhead Ted, and WAKE BAKE SKATE. Similarly themed lyrically, they tell the story of being broke as fvck, wasted as fvck, high as fvck, skating as fvck, fvcking as fvck, fvcking as fvcking fvck. Yes. For a more prudent mind they might be too much to tolerate...

DO A BUNCH OF DRUGS IM A FIEND AND AND ADDICT
ALL FUCKED UP WATCHING TELEVISION STATIC
AND I'M GONNA TRY AND MAKE IT
FOR ANOTHER YEAR
JUST TO HANG OUT WITH MY BEST FRIENDS AND DRINK A LOT OF BEER.

Why aren't you partying right now?

IM SO FUCKED UP ON BEER AND WEED
MY STOMACH OVERFLOWS AND MY LUNGS FVCKING BLEED

Still not partying? You might like their other side, then:

Corny teenpop. I'LL PROBABLY END UP ****ING UP AND MAKE IT SUPER AWKWARDDDDDDDDDDD. It's those awkward, creepy-romantic, drunken high school days wrapped up in a delightful 3 minute early Weezer-esque pop song with the most loveable chorus FIDLAR ever did wrote. Yes, wrote. Fuck you. I drink cheap beer.

Ah, yes. This song has to be the epitome of self-pity, she-dumped-me, I-suck songs. But it's utterly relateable, can't count how many times this song sang my life. Screw something up with a special someone? Drank a bit too much? This song'll get you through it and have you laughing about it later.

This bit gets quite dark. Max, the main vocalist, has been in and out of rehab for meth and heroin use for the passed few years. We see a much more serious, scary side of drug use on this track. S'why you don't mess with meth if you ain't cut for it.

Wooooooo. The downs are downnnnnnnnnnn, but the ups are up up up up. And for some, it's a fair trade. I woke up, cuz life's a risk.

Ahhh, humor. You know a band is great when they know the love as well as they do the evil.

More to come.
And still people want me dead
~msc

Last edited by GuD; 11-25-2014 at 09:25 PM.
GuD is offline   Reply With Quote