Music Banter - View Single Post - Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
What took you so long to appreciate it?
Well, it's an overly long story, and not even very interesting but since you asked..
I always thought it was a good album but I just never got into it. I barely paid it any attention until 3rd Eye Vision came out and I liked that album a lot more. But I was wrong. At the time, I thought of Del and Casual as the heavy talent in Heiroglyphics but now I can't understand how I felt that way. I thought of Del as the charismatic brainy rapper, and Casual as the technical best of them. SoM just faded into the background and their album seemed kind of juvenile. I also thought all of their voices/deliveries were kind of lacking.

Flash forward to now: Del has outright lost all his appeal (he had a verse on the song Limitations on the SoM album - all he does is repeat one line "MCs should know their limitations, their limitations, MCs should know their limitations" Oh the Irony) and Casual became some kind of boring sell out. I still love Casual's Fear Itself but Del's whole career annoys me, all the music he made sounds either overly cartoonish or just plain bad to me now.

Recently I randomly decided to put on 93 til Infinity for the first time in many years and it was like I had never really heard it. Great rhymes, interesting songs, all around an excellent album that doesn't get dull. Granted, it's pretty silly lyrically at times but they were only just out of high school when they made it. Their rhymes and deliveries on that album now sound fresh, inspired, clever, and ahead of their time to me. I'm still listening to it sort of frequently.