Music Banter - View Single Post - Icon vs Legend (subjective or objective terms?) Which one is more enduring?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #133 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Just because you have no interest in Janet Jackson does not make her any less Iconic. You seem to not like popular music overall and that is fine but don't be a snob.
I like how you totally ignored everything I said about Cyndi Lauper even though I said I had no interest in either artist. Also I never said she wasn't iconic for that reason. I said the reasons I didn't think she was is because the reasons you stated were nowhere near convincing.

Quote:
I think I have done a good job in showing important Iconic things associated with her, music and just things she has done overall that have been iconic.
She had a successful album & tour and wore an outfit, wow.
I gave you another example of another female artist with a similar length career who has done all that too and who has more recognisable songs and stated that I didn't think she was an icon so what did Janet do that was so iconic. Perfectly legitimate question.

Quote:
A lot of people always use this argument when it comes to Janet but the funny thing is, all the Jackson's have released solo albums so why is that Janet Jackson is the only one that has been successful outside of Michael?

To argue that her last name is why she is successful is absurd and a cop out because if that were case the other Jackson's would have been just as successful but they have not.

Her last name did probably give her a record deal but it most certainly did not make her an Icon. It most certainly is not the reason why she is one of the biggest selling artists of all time. If anything, it probably was much harder for her because of her last name and her more famous brother. She had to prove herself and...she did. She became a superstar and an Icon in her own right.

If her last name is why she is an Icon, why isnt La Toya, Jermaine, Rebbie, etc all solo artist Icons?
I said it gets her a pass, I didn't say it makes her an icon. You think anybody would even know the first names of any of those you listed with the careers they had if they didn't have the Jackson surname?
Turn up at a record company with that name and you're pretty much guaranteed a contract and publicity that no other act would get.

Quote:
Silly argument.
It is, but that's because it's one invented in your head and bares little resemblance to anything I've actually said, like most of the things I say to you actually. You cherrypick a few words, take them grossly out of context and ignore the rest. Your usual tactic.

Quote:
Just because you don't listen to her music or don't want to listen to her music outside of rock doesn't mean she is not an Icon.
I'll just quote this from a post I made a few days ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I grew up listening to my Mum & Dad's huge singles collections as they only owned a handful of albums between them.
Actually I'm glad I did too I had a much more varied selection to choose from as they pretty much had every genre of music that got into the charts from the late 50s to the late 70s.

I'm so glad I wasn't indoctrinated on just rock music, I think it's made me appreciate so much more stuff.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote