Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #6944 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

This War of Mine

Press F to Pay Respects this is not.

While many games in recent years have at least started to point out the horrors of war, it almost always seems to be disingenuous when the same characters have to commit the horrible acts. That's kind of the weird paradox gaming is in right now, people want to have games say something about the increasing levels of violence, but they also want to have their wiz-bang shooty fun. This War of Mine decides to shift the focus from soldiers, mercenaries, or otherwise war prepped individuals to regular people just trying to survive. That's already an interesting hook, but the gameplay and morality is really where the game shines, because the game constantly presents you with scenarios that you have no idea how to react to. For example in my first playthrough I came across a solider about to rape a woman, I decided to kill the soldier, both out of anger for his actions but I also wanted a gun to help defend my shelter from looters. For killing him, I became a sort of hero around the community, but because of my fame, the military raided it and killed three of my survivors, while my last was out scavenging for supplies, he later committed suicide out of grief.

It's not a fun game, but it is the most compelling thing I've played all year.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote