Music Banter - View Single Post - Watch as The Batlord Descends Into Comic Book Nerd Oblivion
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

I Think Daredevil Might Be Cool

Never had any particular desire to read Daredevil before. I figured I'd get around to Frank Miller's run at some point in the future, but even that was a pretty vague desire. But I've been reading a bit of DD's late eighties stuff---I was curious about his romance with Typhoid Mary (cause I'm a ****ing cheeseball)---and I've been impressed with the basic concept of his character. I may do a more in-depth review of this story arc when I finish it, but it's nine issues long and there's no telling if I'll get around to it, so I'm just doing this little feature in case I get lazy. Anyway...

These couple of pages in issue #255 really sold me on the series...

Two things:

I love how domestic this scene is. Matt Murdock's (current) girlfriend, Karen Page, has clearly slept over at his apartment (or vice versa, but I'm guessing it's his place), and is just brushing her teeth, wearing what appears to be Matt's shirt and pants, with her hair in a lazy ponytail. Afterward, she makes a pot of coffee, and he shows a little bit of man ass in the shower. Serious relationships almost never happen in comic books, and are explored even less, but right here we have a normal, slice of life morning routine that makes you feel like these are real people, living in a real world, with real lives. Mega-cool.

His girlfriend's a fox BTW.

Secondly, I love that, rather than these two pages being about superhero stuff, or even something like Peter Parker complaining about JJJ giving him grief over not having any good pics of Spider-Man masturbating on top of the Empire State Building, Matt's concerned with civilian problems that aren't just real life issues, but that reflect his commitment to the principles that drive him to put on the spandex. Even during daylight hours, Matt Murdock never stops his crusade for justice, and along the way we get treated to something that's far more adult than the vast majority of comic books I've ever read.

His girlfriend's a fox BTW.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 12-15-2014 at 10:38 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote