Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #766 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
It's Breaking The Chains by Dokken isn't it.
Probably the second worst release of the year.

I've probably exaggerated with that, but I was distinctly unimpressed with that album when I listened to it. I saw that it originally came out in Europe in 1981 and didn't get a US release till 1983!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Weird. I see different release dates for it. Metal Archives and Wikipedia say '84, but a bunch of other sources say '83. Confused.
Well I'll include it for 1984 and it's probably the only Venom album that I really like.

Quote:
You're out of your ****ing mind. Manowar's second album might just be their creative peak. After that they slowly went further and further toward self-parody. That album is one of the most epic (as in Viking-epic) records I've ever heard. The slower tempo and emphasis on heaviness, along with the fantasy atmosphere, was and is pretty unique and powerful. I always think of it being to Bathory's Hammerheart, what Conan the Barbarian is to Lord of the Rings. It might not be entirely consistent, but most Manowar albums aren't.
Hell I tried to pull a fast one there, as I was fed up with everybody guessing all the albums in the top 8 Of course it's really on the list with me being a big Manowar fan.

As for their creative best I'll say yes, even though Hail to England is my favourite along with some of their later 1980's releases.

Quote:
Oh, **** that! I've said it in the past, but if he puts god damn Dokken over Manowar and Mercyful Fate, I am boycotting this ****ing journal.
...but I certainly didn't try to pull a fast one with Mercyful Fate, it was a struggle to listen to it, despite the fact it's constantly namechecked as being an inspiration to bands like Slayer at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
You guys are forgetting the most important one of all...
I was never impressed with early Queensryche, but given how you go on about them, this album will get my full attention when I listen for 1984. Also to be fair I haven't listen to that album in like 6 years and my metal tastes have changed a lot in that time, so now anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
Well that's a relief, we may be miles apart on AC/DC & Iron Maiden, but at least we converge on King Diamond. You think that the devil would be able to find a more masculine sounding minion on the mic, I mind as well be listening to Lita Ford or Lee Aarron when I listen to him.

Speaking of which, I'm predicting your next album to be Satan Court in the Act, cheers
Kind Diamond I actually like for about a song or two but after that...............

That Satan album is down for 1984, but now I've seen it came out in 1983 so my Kerrang book is wrong
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote