Music Banter - View Single Post - Icon vs Legend (subjective or objective terms?) Which one is more enduring?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #176 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
The problem is that there's a difference between an iconic moment and a person being an icon.

I think of John Lydon as being an iconic person for the reason that he made 2 groundbreaking albums in 2 different genres and regardless of your opinion of him you'd be hard pressed to find too many people who have done that.

However one of his iconic moments was when the Sex Pistols appeared on The Grundy Show with Lydon swearing and basically announcing the arrival of punk in the mainstream and whipping up the media and the establishment to mass hysteria.

However just because I consider that an iconic moment in music history doesn't mean I don't consider Lydon an icon for doing it.
The problem with your arguments are that they come off very one sided and snobbish.

You don't listen to any other music besides rock and thats fine BUT its foolish to sit here and insist no other artists outside the rock genre is not an Icon (just because you don't care for them or don't listen to their music)

It is very snobbish.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote