Music Banter - View Single Post - democracy part 2
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
True, to a degree. But I asked how we are being ruled? You also mentioned that people like to be ruled/ governed.
I should think that would be obvious. Look at how many people don't even vote. Look at how much influence the people who do vote have compared to corporations and lobbies. Look at how elected officials maintain long-term, or even lifetime, positions in their respective offices. We may have the ability to put people out of office, but we're more concerned with being pandered to much the same way rulers of old gave out crumbs and cheap entertainment to peasants to keep them quiet.

And I also think think it's pretty self-evident that we want to be ruled. People don't like to be saddled with the responsibility of governing. It's a pain in the ass to stay informed, to consider different points of view, to be politically active outside of their easy chairs, etc. We complain after an official screws up, but otherwise we like to elect and forget, while we go about our own lives, oblivious to what our representatives are actually doing.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote