Music Banter - View Single Post - Shanties and other songs of the sea
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

Sally Brown ( Traditional Sea Shanty ) - YouTube
I sometimes perform “Sally Brown” with guitar accompaniment at open mics but my version is a rather different from this. That’s the thing about shanties, they can vary quite a bit from performer-to-performer.

Johnny Collins - Eliza Lee (Capstan Shanty) - YouTube
“Eliza Lee” may have been a railroad shanty adapted by sailors. Lines as “Clear away the track and let the bulgine run” and references to “a-jolting car” would strongly indicate that this was sung by railroad workers. Some have suggested that railroads often passed through shipyards and it might be a shanty for sailors that loaded the supplies from the ship to the rail cars. Sure--could be.

The Maid of Amsterdam (A-rovin') - sung by the Roaring Trowmen - YouTube
“A-rovin’” otherwise known as “The Maid of Amsterdam” is a well known from the 19th century. I sing this one at open mics as well. It has many different verses and mine are thus:

In Amsterdam I met a maid
(Mark well what I do say)
In Amsterdam I met a maid
Who was always pinchin’ the sailors’ trade
(I’ll go no more a-rovin’ with you, fair maid
A-rovin’, a-rovin’ since rovin’ been my ru-I-n
I’ll go more a-rovin’ with you, fair maid)

I took that maid out for a walk
I took that maid out for a walk
I fed her run and did she talk

I put me arm around her waist
I put me arm around her waist
She said, “Young man, you’re in great haste!”

I put me hand upon her knee
I put me hand upon her knee
She said, “Young man, you’re rather free!”

I put me hand upon her thigh
I put me hand upon her thigh
She said, “Young man, that’s rather high!”

(This next verse is my own)
I slipped me hand beneath her dress
I slipped me hand beneath her dress
It felt real nice, I must confess

I gave that miss a little kiss
I gave that miss a little kiss
And back onboard my money I missed

I borrowed a little from every version I’ve heard. I like these particular words because they were definitely written by a sailor. I had just such an experience in Orlando, Florida along the red light district called the “Orange Blossom Trail.” Me and a mate picked up a prostitute, went to this secluded area, took turns boffing her, paid her, dropped her off and went to eat and realized that somehow she had emptied both our wallets. I definitely had money left after I paid her but somehow she got the rest of it before we dropped her off—both of us. I have no idea how. Goddamn hooker magic.
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote