Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Part Two

15. The Blue Orchids - "Oo Chang-A-Lang" - An infectiously cheery song about a girl who wants to be an adult, so she can start having fun. The most prominent part of the song is the tambourine work for which the chorus and song are named. The vocals are loud and sharp, and kind of hit you with that analogue-fuzz that feels like they're drilling into your ears. Normally it would kind of hurt, but it adds a really cool dirty contrast to an otherwise clean pop song.

16. The Girls - "Chico's Girl" - Feels like something ripped out of "Grease". It's a really simple, playful song that comes off as a bit childish and goofy at times. I really like the harmony that comes in after the first chorus ("Cause i'm Chico's girl!"), as it helps add some depth to the piece.

17. The Ladybugs - "How Do You Do It?" - Covering the Merseybeat classic made famous by "Gerry and the Pacemakers", The Ladybugs actually do a pretty awesome job. A little dirty, a little clean, the pop sound betrays the solid guitar work that culminates in a cool (but short) distorted solo. Honestly, I like this version better than the original!

The Ladybugs!

18. The Bootles - "I'll Let You Hold My Hand" - Yup, another all-girl band in love with The Beatles. Can you blame them? This number is actually very catchy (You'll probably find yourself humming it from time to time), but the low production value gives the harmonies that analogue-drill sound that I mentioned earlier. In this case, the drilling doesn't work as well. But overall, it's still a fun song that I wouldn't mind hearing someone cover in the future.

19. The Termites - "Tell Me" - I never thought someone could do a song better than "The Rolling Stones", as they always seemed to know just how to play a song to get a rise out of the audience. But I always thought their 45 "Tell Me" was strangely weak and lifeless. The Termites give it a go, and it just has the perfect amount of pop and attitude. Give it a shot, you might end up liking it as well.

20. The Sanshers - "Gonna Git That Man" - Heh. I'd forgotten about this song, until I saw it on the tracklist once again. It's very fun, especially the intro, but also very strange. Two ladies take turns singing the chorus, one with a clean voice, and one with an over-the-top dirty voice. You can't really love it or hate it, you can only stand in stark awe of it's bravado.

21. The Whyte Boots - "Nightmare" - I've always thought this song would work well in a B-movie. A little bit of rock, a touch of Motown soul and class, mixed with a crime drama story about a girl who kills her rival in affections for the man she loves. And of course, a whole lotta fun and camp. This song is really great for getting raised eyebrows and smiles from people!

22. Lyn and the Invaders - "Boy Is Gone" - Imagine a classy singer from the golden age of vocals stuck in a psychadelic land of fuzz guitars and electric organs, and you get the gist of this piece. I really like this one, simply because the smooth vocals work so very well in contrast with the gritty production values. It all adds up to a strangely haunting and compelling song that I highly recommend you listen to.

Lyn and her Invaders!

23. The Chymes - "Quite a Reputation" - My personal favorite of The Chymes, this one is just so happy and bouncy, it's in a world of it's own (surf-pop-rock?). It's always great fun when you've got a mix of Garage Rock, and you're listening to something really gritty, and then this one comes on after! Anyway, The Chymes as always bring their harmonies and clean playing to the fold, standing out as a particularly skilled act in the underground scene of the 1960's.

24. The Daughters of Eve - "Don't Waste My Time" - A vocal driven song, the surprisingly solid instrument work takes a back seat until it comes forward later in the song. This is another number where I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it had charted in the mid-1960's.

25. The Continental Co-ets - "I Don't Love You No More" - The first all-girl Garage Rock song I'd ever heard, this track is actually the main reason I tracked down this CD, and got into Garage Rock in the first place. Later on, I heard The Sonics and was completely hooked. Anyway, this is by far the more interesting of their two offerings on this compilation, having very solid playing and vocal work. This track is in the similar vein of surf-rock, but everything just comes together so brilliantly. The Vocals, the harmonies, the heart-beat drumming, the slick surf-guitar work, it all just blends together perfectly. Whenever people dismiss "Surf Rock" as a pseudo-genre that was created to describe Dick Dale and Beach Boys rip-off bands, I play (among other tracks) this song for them. It really has a great amount of depth to it.

The Continental Co-ets

26. The Chimes of Freedom - "Jungle Rock" - Man, this song is strange. A group of girls scream, and sing about how animals in the jungle like to dance to rock 'n roll music. At first, I thought it was one of the more simple and weak tracks of the bunch, but man does that guitar solo sound cool.

27. The Starlets - "You Don't Love Me" - And here we end the final half of the compilation on a very high note! This track, the second of two covers of the same song, is just so raw that you have to love it. The vocals are clean and classy, but the slamming drums and wall of fuzz guitar work are just the perfect compliment. Unfortunately, the song lacks a guitar solo, although it does have a cool but very short break. It's like Gladys Knight decided to jam with the Shadows of Knight, and it's perfect!

Well, that's all there is to it. I hope you all enjoyed this compilation as much as I did! Overall, I would say that while this isn't quite a "must own" CD for the general music listener, it's definitely required listening for fans of Garage Rock (and fans of modern indie music seem to like it quite a bit as well). If you can find it for a reasonable amount of money, don't hesitate to nab it!

Last edited by Oriphiel; 12-02-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote