Music Banter - View Single Post - Chula's Albums - The Early Years
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #42 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Almost hard to believe there was a time when nobody had heard of this album. Back when it was released no-one I hung with knew who or what Pink Floyd was. When the song Money started getting played on the radio a lot and ears perked up, but in all honesty, we actually thought that the band was a black funk group based on that track.

Listening to the full album for the first few times was a pretty mind blowing experience. Especially since pot had made the scene in a big way in our group. DSOTM was the first "concept" album for me. The lyrics were deep and really struck a chord - especially since my life was crap at the time. Here was a group of songs that spoke of despair, loss, dreams, war, insanity, regret, anger, greed, and ultimately, hope. Really heavy stuff for this 13 year old kid.

About 6 years ago (35 years after it was released) I gave a copy of this to my son and asked him to spend some serious time with it. He was absolutely blown away and ranks it as one of his faves to this day. Gotta love that.

They say some records will never be broken. DSOTM spending 741 consecutive weeks (over 14 years!) on the Billboard charts is one of them.

Do I really have to post samples? Actually I won't since the album is really meant to be listened to as a whole anyway.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 12-05-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote