Music Banter - View Single Post - Distortion
Thread: Distortion
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mondo Bungle
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene

First Recordings: 1973

Throwing it back to 1973, here is (as the title suggests) John Zorn's first recordings. He says this is the craziest stuff he’s ever done, and while I have no room to agree as I've not listened to every single bit of his work, I can agree that this is on the weirder side. It’s all weird isn't it though? This is an abrasive and somewhat hard to digest collection at just under 80 minutes, but remains fascinating for any fan of Zorn or experimental music alike. Just think about this, these are the very first recordings of what would become a renowned musical genius, one of the most prolific artists of our time.

The first work here, “Mikhail Zoetrope”, a three part bedroom experiment of sonic madness, is particularly what he referred to as his craziest stuff. His trademark saxaphone expertise is shown throughout, along with improvisation from a lot of found instrumentation (pots and pans, other kitchenware, a vacuum cleaner, his television, anything he had at his disposal), and there’s a good amount of nonsensical vocals from the young man. In the end, it’s a lot of beating on random objects, squealing, raspberries, television on loud volume, and radical sax noodling. Avant-garde to the max.

I really enjoyed “Conquest of Mexico”. Apparently this was what was left of a soundtrack he would be putting together during his last year in college. This recording is a kind of electronic/psychedelic experiment, much more my speed than “Mikhail Zoetrope”. Zorn’s approach on this piece is akin to what he’d do on The Big Gundown. My favorite part of this album for sure.

“Wind Ko/La” is a basic string improv. Hammering out notes on what appears to be either a guitar or bass. “Automata of Al-Jazari” features a bunch of film quotes and samples with little, bizarre interludes in between. “Variations on A Theme by Albert Ayler” is another highlight. More sax shredding, distorted with all sorts of effects, fuzz, reverb, delay, the works. He really puts every effect he possibly can to work on this one. Obviously a tribute to jazz musician Albert Ayler.

“Sounds for people that are fed up with music”

It’s not his best work, really nowhere near it, but what do you expect? This is an interesting listen any way you look at it, and can give us a slight glimpse of what he’d be doing later on. I doubt I’ll ever listen to “Mikhail Zoetrope” in full again, but “Variations on A Theme” and “Conquest of Mexico” will surely receive more listening. It’s no wonder this kid’s parents thought he was crazy.

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote