Music Banter - View Single Post - Tips for getting started in music?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pursuingchange
Music Addict

Default Tips for getting started in music?

Hello to everyone,

I have only posted in this forum a couple of times, so I'm not sure if this question belongs here. But this is one of the most active online music communities I have seen. If this question doesn't belong here, please feel free to move or delete it. I'm just giving this a shot.

So, long story short, I'm an aspiring male musician. I'm 23 years old, and I "play guitar" (I guess you could say). I have tried many times to form bands and to join other bands, but every time I set out to form something, the people always bail on me. I have very little band experience, mostly due to the fact that I come from a small rural town where no one plays, and so much of my time playing and learning has been by myself. I feel I'm a naturally gifted player, but for some reason no one has wanted to take the time/patience required to give me a chance. I'm certainly no ego-maniac. Everyone's got to start somewhere, but I cannot find that entry point that will get me sailing. No one ever seems to believe in me enough to give me a chance. Everyone wants experienced, established, seasoned players.

Does anyone here have any advice for me? Also, what are some of the best ways to find other musicians with similar tastes and aspirations as me? I currently live in much larger of a town, but it's still not a melting pot for musicians. I've tried craigslist many times, but nothing ever comes from that, at least not in my experiences. I'm lost by this point for what to do. Why is it that everyone else has no trouble getting and staying in bands, but I can't? I've highly considered just giving up.

I know this is not a "musicians" forum per se, but since it is about music, I thought it might be worth a shot to ask as I assume there are plenty of musicians here.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully someone can tell me something good!
Pursuingchange is offline   Reply With Quote