Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #1539 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
Just out of curiosity is there a standard length where an ethernet cable starts to lose the signal? I'm looking to run about 100' from where the modem has to sit to where my desktop is so I can maintain a stronger connection. Is it worth it, or should I just look at getting a PCI wifi adapter?
For a while my cable ran from my PC in my bedroom down to my router in the hall. It's not 100 feet (not sure how long most stairs are, but I think that's a long way is it not?) but I think about forty maybe? Anyway the connection was strong. As long as you use one single piece of cable, ie get an ethernet cable equivalent to the distance between your PC and the router. In other words, no adaptors, connectors, stitching pieces together. Once the end that goes into your router and the end that goes into your PC are both on the same original piece of cable I think you should be ok.

It's always preferable to use an ethernet, even if the modem and PC are both in the same room, as Wireless is less reliable, I've been told. Ether tends to drop very seldom if at all, whereas with Wireless it can happen quite a lot.

That's my experience anyway.