Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Futureshock: Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog and the world of 2000 AD
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #24 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Chapter IV

First print date: May 21 1977
Prog appearance: 13
Writer(s): John Wagner
Artist(s): Ron Turner

As Dredd prepares for his meeting with Call-Me-Kenneth, back at the Hall of Justice another robot is brought in, the two Judges dragging him towards Dredd telling him that they found him hiding behind a pile of boxes. Dredd recognises Walter, the vending machine robot, and sees perhaps with sympathy that the droid is so scared that it has developed a lisp. The two Judges are ready to blow his head off, but something about the pathetic robot has Dredd stay their hand. He tells Walter, who professes to be loyal to humans, that if he can guide him to Call-Me-Kenneth's base tonight then he will spare his life. Walter proves his sincerity when he warns Dredd of robots coming as they approach the old robotics factory which Call-Me-Kenneth has made his centre of operations, and they just avoid in time a gang of work robots who go by, singing anti-human songs.

But robo-dogs pick up Dredd's scent and attack him. He shoots one but it takes a bite out of him. Walter cuddles the other and it leaves Dredd alone. As they enter the robot factory they are challenged by two huge robots, and Walter, showing unexpected flair for creativity, tells them that Dredd is the prototype of a new android just built, which looks just like a human Judge. Having no reason to believe one of their brothers would lie to them, the two robot guards accept this, shuddering at the idea, and Dredd and Walter gain access to the factory. Almost.

Unfortunately, the robots notice the blood dripping from Dredd's leg, and their scheme is rumbled. They are taken prisoner and brought before the leader of the robot rebellion, who frowns down on them from on high. Walter is taken away, to be put to work on the assembly line. Dredd, expecting nothing but death, is nevertheless horrified to learn the fate the mad robot leader has planned for him: Dredd is to be turned into a living robot!

QUOTES
Judge: “But we're at war with all robots, Dredd!”

Walter: “Oh thank you Judge Dwedd! You are the nicest, kindest human in the world! Water will never betway you! Never!”
Dredd: “Stop this sickening display of affection!! Get up off your knees, robot. You're dripping oil on my boots!”

Walter: “Good boy, good boy! Walter likes wobo-doggies.”
Dredd: “Shut up Walter! That doggie has just taken a chunk out of my leg!”

Walter: “I am Walter. I am testing this new android for Call-Me-Kenneth. It looks just like a real Judge!”
Guard: “One of us, eh? This plasti-skin feels just like flesh, too. Uggh! Horrible! I don't know how we served the fleshy scum for so long. It makes my drive wheel shudder just to touch skin --- yeeuch!”
Dredd: “How do you think I feel, brothers? I have to live in it!”

Call-Me-Kenneth: “You have given aid to the fleshy ones against the orders of Call-Me-Kenneth, robot Walter. Explain!”
Walter: “Humans are the masters and robots are the slaves. We shoudl love humans and care for them, not kill then. You are a wicked wobot, Call-Me-Kenneth, and you will pay for your cwimes.”

Call-Me-Kenneth: “Killing is too good for you, Dredd! We have an old score to settle. The fate I have chosen for you will make you scream for death, but death will never come. I am going to turn you into a living robot!”

Attack of the Nitpicker!
Oh yeah, I see all these tiny little mistakes when they're made, and while this is not enough of a question to go in the “I'll ask the questions, creep!” section, it still merits being noted.

When Walter is talking to the robot guards he says that Dredd, supposedly an android, looks just like a real Judge. But he should say “weal”; annoying as it is, this is an idiosyncrasy that has been attributed to the robot, that he has a lisp and cannot now pronounce “r”s. Presumably just a slip up when they were typesetting or whatever, but you know me: you won't get one of these past me!

I AM THE LAW!
Despite the fact that he personally considers all robots fair game, now that they are at war, Dredd knows of this Walter. He has seen him before and he really isn't advanced enough to possess the capability of breaking his programming and joining the rebels. He also professes fealty to his human masters. All robots rebelling so far have declared their undying hatred for their erstwhile owners, the fleshy ones, so Dredd assumes Walter is not lying, and anyway he probably doesn't possess the software to enable him to lie. He will find soon enough that he is in fact wrong, as Walter hatches a clever scheme to afford them entry into Call-Me-Kenneth's base. The fact that it does not work is in fact a human failing, Dredd bleeding and spoiling the illusion, thus alerting the robot guards.

But all of that is in the near future, and right now all the Judge sees is a robot on its knees, begging for his life. Dredd does have a heart, despite the rumours, and does not take kindly to innocents being executed or even imprisoned. If you break the law, you pay the price. But if you have just been caught up in a lawbreaking scheme without actually taking part (despite what the Stallone movie would have you believe) you are not considered guilty in Dredd's eyes. He probably reasons that, should he just allow any and every robot to be shot on sight, without their having committed any crime, he could be reckoned as bad as the machines he fights. It's been said that to understand your enemy, you have to become your enemy, but not so for Dredd. He prefers to keep a little bit of human compassion set aside, just in case he ever needs it.

He also realises that this is his chance to infiltrate Call-Me-Kenneth's base. With Walter as a guide he will have a far better chance of getting in undetected, so perhaps his soft-heartedness is tempered with some pragmatism.

Last edited by Trollheart; 01-22-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote