Music Banter - View Single Post - GMOs
Thread: GMOs
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I was referring specifically to the farming practices. It's been over 3 years so my memory of the subject matter isn't fresh, but I definitely remember learning that industrialized farming in America is a huge contributor to top soil depletion.

My professor
Ph.D. - Ecology and Evolution, Rutgers University (2006)
B.A. - Biology, Rutgers University (1998),

but he was definitely a nature lover and didn't appreciate/agree with things like GMOs. He was a great teacher, but now that I think back he was probably biased and presented material that supported the way he felt the world should be instead of the real science behind everything. He showed us documentaries like Food, Inc, Gasland, and An Inconvenient Truth.
Ah, seems to be a fresh professor. Our farming practices do have an effect on the topsoil, but it's nowhere near as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. I mean, ever since humans learned how to farm we've been messing up the Earth (just read Ishmael), but my main point is that farmers aren't just sitting around with their thumbs up their butts and planting whatever cool new seeds get thrown at them. You can make arguments either way, but the important thing is that we all get on the side of trying to help improve things and not just try to trip the "other guy" up. That doesn't help anyone.