Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Alright, as recommended by Pet_Sounds, here's...

Chariot Rising

Dantalian's Chariot? Uh-oh, time for some heavy Psychadelia. Quick, you grab the incense and I'll grab the peppermints! Is the madman in the hall?! Ticking away... the moments that make up a... dull day...

Alright, enough with all that. Dantalian's Chariot were a short-lived Psych band (They only lasted for roughly a year, 1967-68) in the late sixties that suffered the same fate that befell many Psychadelic and Progressive bands in those days; unable to find commercial success, they struggled with and were eventually shot down by the big record labels. You see, Dantalian's Chariot wanted to make risky and experimental music, while their label wanted a safe investment (Catchy Pop-Rock numbers and the like). Being unable to compromise with each other, their label dropped them (Although seeing as how their label was EMI, I don't know why they didn't see it coming). All in all, they were only able to release one single with EMI, "Madman Running Through The Fields".

Joining CBS records, they set about finally kicking off their foray into the world of music with their own debut album. Unfortunately, they were once again at ends with their record label, and just like before couldn't come to a compromise with them. Instead of releasing the album they had just recorded, their label went through all of their past recordings and slapped together an album that they thought might do better commercially. Needless to say, Dantalian's Chariot were not pleased, and ultimately fell apart.

Comprised of George "Zoot" Money, Collin Allen, Andy Summers (who later joined Ska-Rock legends The Police) and Pat Donaldson, Dantalian's Chariot didn't last very long, but they did have an impact in the grand scheme of things. Their single "Madman Running Through The Fields" apparently was a cult hit among Psychadelic audiences, and generated enough of interest that it has appeared on multiple compilations of Psychadelia and Garage Rock. Years later, in 1996, Wooden Hill Records gathered their recordings and released this CD, "Chariot Rising", as essentially what their debut album was supposed to be. Now, let's begin...

1. "Madman Running Through the Fields" - Psychadelia mixed with a little bit of a Beat-music feeling to it (Kind of a taste of Pop and Jazz), this one tries to unnerve you right off the bat with a high-pitched tone and other effects (like what I think is a reversed cymbal crash). Honestly, this one is pretty catchy and relaxing (especially the Folk bit about two minutes in), though it is a bit jarring at times. It's no surprise that this is a well-loved track among fans of Psychadelia!

Dantalian's Chariot!

2. "World War Three" - Nice and heavy, this one introduces more effects (like distortion and feedback) and opens with what seems like an instrumental growl! The vocals are stark and harmonic, reminding me of The Beatles (especially the album Revolver, namely "She Said", with it's fun harmonic vocals and the infamous backwards guitar solo) during their foray into Psychadelia (and irrevocably intertwining it with many traditions of Beat-music, including elements of the vocal work). Of course, as a Prog/Psych song, there are tone changes and breaks here and there, and everything comes together to make a very fun and interesting song!

3. "This Island" - A relaxing number that opens with the sound of waves on a beach, as well as some organ and sitar work in the background. The acoustic guitar and the female operatic-vocalist, combined with the thumping drums, really remind me of a Spaghetti Western. Now i'm really in the mood for a Leone flick! Honestly, this is actually a very good instrumental, and I liked it quite a bit (which is strange, because usually non-Surf Rock instrumentals bore me to tears).

4. "Fourpenny Bus Ride" - Another track that really reminds me of The Beatles (I know I keep bringing them up, it's just that the vocalist kinda sounds like Paul McCartney here). This one is pretty catchy, kind of like a Pop Rock number on LSD! Of all the songs so far, I would say that this is probably the one that stood the best chance of making the radio rounds of the day, being relatively clean and straight forward.

5. "Four Firemen" - This one really reminds me of... Alright, I won't mention The Beatles anymore, I promise! It's just that the loud bass line mixed with the vocal harmonies really... Okay, no, you're right, I need to be more detailed with my speculations. This one is a slow and melancholy number that focuses more on vocal work than the past tracks, featuring very few sound effects and sparse instrumentation.

6. "Sun Came Bursting Through My Cloud" - I'm kind of confused as to why both of their record labels thought they were unmarketable. They're really good! This one is kind of a simple and melancholy Vocal-Pop/Folk number, and it's another of their tracks that easily could have charted if it had been produced and released properly.

7. "Recapture The Thrill" - Similar to the last track, but with a little more speed to it (as well as more vocal and instrument work), as well as being a little happier (even if it is about getting old and coming to the realization that you're going to die, so you may as well be happy with what you have rather than try to reclaim what has long passed).

8. "Soma" - Love the sitar work! This is an instrumental that goes for a mysterious and exotic sound. Opening up with an homage to the music of India and the Middle East, it moves on into a smooth number led by a jazz flute. Then the two styles mix, with some Jazz guitar playing coming in near the end. After coming to a complete stop, the song starts up again with the flute and sitar coming together in front of beating drums. After one more stop. the music comes back for the final few moments of the song.

9. "Coffee Song" - Hooray, a tambourine! This is another melancholy vocal-led track with an acoustic guitar setting the beat. I think the "Coffee" of the song is kind of a metaphor for the memories we hold; they're transient and eventually disappear, just like we do, but they give us comfort and meaning in the time that we have. Kind of a duality of being both meaningful and meaningless. I also think that... Wait a second.. Oh no! I'm starting to become introspective! Psychadelic music strikes again! How dare you make me actually think about the music i'm listening to?

10. "High Flying Bird" - With the album coming to a close, we're treated to a smooth number in the vein of Jazz. It's a nice and relaxing track, with the vocalist urging people to remember the importance of love and understanding. After all, all you need is... (I just had to get in one last word about the last Beatles , didn't I?) love!

Fantastic! Even though I don't usually go for the Prog/Jazz scene (which is very odd, considering that my first real taste of music was when my sister gave me a copy of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"), I still had a blast with this one (probably because the Psychadelic parts were so much fun)! You've got a lot of variety here, from Psychadelic trip songs ("Madman..."), to heavy and energetic numbers ("World War Three"), to imaginative instrumentals ("This Island"), to catchy and fast almost-Pop-Rock tracks ("Fourpenny Bus Ride"), and beyond! I definitely recommend it for the next time you feel like kicking off your shoes, lighting up some *cough* incense *cough*, and unwinding.

Last edited by Oriphiel; 12-11-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote