Music Banter - View Single Post - 50 Albums That I Believe Are Worth Listening To At Least Once
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Key

#9: Pink Floyd - The Endless River

"Really Ki? This album was released a month ago and it's already in your top 50?" Hell, it's already in my top 10. But this list isn't done in that sort of fashion, so I decided to include it here. Coincidentally it does come in my top 10 technically. Anyway, yes, Pink Floyd's The Endless River does have a special place on this list, and there are many reasons why. First and foremost, I freaking love instrumental albums, especially when done by bands that are well known for having very technical and creative instrumentals. And I mean that in the way that I like the background music that comes along with the vocals in a lot of their music, more-so the Roger Waters era, y'know, like the Animals album. So, to get an album that is basically all instrumental tracks, minus one at the end, it's already a deal breaker for me. Next reason: I just think it's great that they decided to at least give us something before bidding their farewells. Sure, some people would have absolutely loved to hear a brand new mix of tracks from this legendary group, but I can't say i'm disappointed with what we got, especially since although it is meant as a b-sides album, the production quality and the way it flows does feel more like a well done studio album. Lastly, like I mentioned, sure...it is technically a b-sides album, and I know a lot of people were very disappointed in that. It's understandable that a lot of people felt that Pink Floyd were just giving their fans the middle finger, but I didn't see it that way at all. They could have easily released this same album without even bothering to touch it up and smooth the rough edges and made it sound like a legitimate b-sides album with the obvious fact that they didn't put any of their own polish on it. But they didn't do that, because they cared enough to give us something that is both memorable and beautiful. I'd be interested in hearing someone saying that they didn't find at least one memorable track on this album. Some have mentioned that it does sound boring and most of the tracks seem out of place. That could do with the fact that a lot of the songs are fairly short. However, the tracks have that genuine Pink Floyd sound that you'd come to find in most of their previous albums, and I think this one should be considered one of their better albums in years to come.

Just a side note, did you guys know that they released video recordings of some of the tracks on blu-ray?

Key is offline   Reply With Quote