Music Banter - View Single Post - Is rap considered music?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
DeadChannel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJJustin View Post
That's a really good point you bring up. On the subject of what isn't or is music, would YOU consider this music?

People (frownland) consider it to be, but I will never understand why. I consider it art, but not music. But I'm curious as to what you have to say, since your a fairly new member, and you bring up some good points.
I'm not sure, but I'll have to give it some thought. It was created with musical intent, which is usually enough for me, but this is a bit different.

I suppose that this is about the variations on how a given listener perceives it, which is interesting.

If I had a book filled with blank pages, I would still call it a book, but I would be referring to the object. I'm not sure if I would consider it literature. However, a book can't really ever be blank, can it? It will always have small imperfections in the paper. That's similar to the "silence" in 4'33

I'll try another example. Suppose I make a film of solid black for a given amount of time. There are little scratches and imperfections in the print of the film. This is the same as well, is it not?

So, that was a long winded way of saying that I don't really know. I'm not closed to the idea of it being music, though.