Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Well, we've really looked at a lot of music this week, huh? Unfortunately, I'v got some bad news... I'm going on another mysterious road trip, so I may not be updating this for awhile. Still, whenever I get the chance, I'll throw a few albums your way!

Before I go, I'll finish up Los Nuggetz and introduce you guys to another fantastic Garage album! Let's dive right in...

Many people wonder just what happened to music in the 1960's. When they first started, the scene consisted of Rockabilly, Doowop and Pop-Ballads that had carried over from the fifties (with a splash of Jazz added to the mix). And when the 1960's ended and gave way to the 1970's, the musical world was exploding with experimentation, as Funk, Progressive Rock, Early Heavy Metal, Early Punk Rock, Hard Rock, and many other genres, swept across the world. What was the catalyst for all of this change? The answer is that many things contributed to the musical culture of the times, such as the Civil Rights Movement and the Vietnam Conflict. But many people point to a definite part of the 1960's as the main trigger for the musical boom; the British Invasion.

Recognize these chaps?

In the mid-1960's, all of the English lads and lasses who had grown up on American Rock 'n Roll came of age, and started playing their own versions of it (Usually starting off in Skiffle bands). Some bands initially stayed fairly close to the Pop-Rock formula laid down by acts such as The Everly Brothers (Like The Beatles, although they occasionally knew how to rock Little Richard-style), while others were drawn to the rough Blues music that had served as one of the key progenitors of "Rhythm and Blues" (Like the Rolling Stones). Back in the states, Rock 'n Roll had lost a lot of steam, and had become much more Jazz and Pop-centric in order to appeal to the masses (With smooth musicians like Dion DiMucci and Gary U.S. Bonds keeping Rock 'n Roll alive). When British Rock 'n Roll hit stateside, it was almost as if they were showing America how it was done.

When the invasion hit, and British Rock 'n Roll began to destroy the American charts, all of the young Jazz players of America laid down their flutes and picked up their guitars (seriously, almost every Garage Rock musician in this journal got their start by playing Jazz/Beat/Skiffle in the early sixties). While most American Rock 'n Roll acts had a very difficult time making the charts in competition with their British Counterparts, there were a few American bands that fought hard and carved a name for themselves, such as...

Midnight Ride

Their album, Midnight Ride!

Paul Revere and the Raiders! With the most coincidental name ever (the band that helps to keep American music in competition with Britain having "Paul Revere" in their name, who famously rode to Boston to warn of the approaching British army), they were actually named after the band leader Paul Revere Dick. If you're wondering how the band came together, they actually wrote a song about it ("The Legend of Paul Revere", wherein Paul heroically buys hamburger buns from Mark Lindsay). Though their line-up changed quite a bit, in the mid-sixties (their most famous period) they were comprised of core members Paul Revere and Mark Lindsay, as well as Mike Smith, Drake Levin, and Mike Holliday (not to mention Phil "Fang" Volk, who came in a bit later as their bassist).

They became known for their fancy costumes, which helped to spur on a trend of stage bravado among their peers.

The Raiders began in the late fifties (though they weren't known as "Paul Revere and the Raiders" until the early sixties). For awhile their biggest number was a cover of "Louie, Louie", however in 1965 they released the hit "Just Like Me", which began a long line of radio hits for them. Releasing follow-up albums, they eventually put out "Midnight Ride" in 1966, the album that featured their biggest hit "Kicks", as well as the original version of the Punk-Rock staple "Steppin' Stone". Considered by many fans to be their strongest album, it was also the one that convinced critics that they were the real deal. Now, after that wonderful build-up, let's see for ourselves what to make of it...

Paul Revere and the Raiders take getting lost backstage to a new level!

1. "Kicks" - Kicking off the album is their big hit, a compelling foot-stomper with a distinctive Garage Rock feeling to it! It has a kind of melancholy beat to it, which makes sense as it was originally written for The Animals. With great vocals (a little stronger and cleaner than many other Garage bands) and thrashy guitar work, this is a really fun track!

2. "There's Always Tomorrow" - Right away, you can hear the influence of British bands like The Who and The Rolling Stones, and this song has that certain fast Beat-music mixed with Rock 'n Roll and Blues feeling to it. The guitar solo here is really frantic and fantastic (with a touch of a Psychadelic feeling to it).

3. "Little Girl in the 4th Row" - Here's a change of pace, a slow Vocal-Pop number that focuses on vocal harmonies rather than the fast and dirty guitar work of the previous tracks. A bit of a Mamas and the Papas feeling to it.

4. "Ballad of a Useless Man" - And now the speed picks up again with another rocker, this time led by the electric organ (which I believe was a Vox Continental, as the band used mostly Vox instruments). Vocal-wise, Mark Lindsay was always great at hitting the Rock 'n Roll sound, and here is no exception.

5. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" - One of their greatest songs, this one was mostly ignored until it was covered by The Monkees (who did a fantastic take on it in their own right. The Liverpool Five also have a great cover of it). Mark Lindsay really shows how powerful and rough his voice can be, while still able to blend in with the smooth harmonies. The low fuzz-guitar work combined with the electric organ flairs really create a great Psychadelic back beat for the song!

6. "There She Goes" - The last track of the A-side, this one pays it's dues to Folk/Country Pop-Rock bands like The Byrds. With a great Skiffle sound to it, this would have probably resonated well with audiences across the pond! Alright, now flip the record over...

Known for their fun and wild live performances, they were a very different band in the studio. Gotta love Fang's white Vox Phantom bass!

7. "All I Really Need Is You" - Opening up the B-Side is this Vocal-Pop number, which has kind of an early Funk/Motown beat to it (while the guitars come in with an odd choice of a Psychadelic riff). For the chorus, the rest of the band chimes in with well-made harmonies. There is a nice tone change at the two minute mark, that helps to change things up.

8. "Get It On" - This one has a definite Psycho-Blues feeling to it! With a simple yet compelling guitar riff, rough and simple vocals, and fun harmonica work in the intro, it's very catchy (especially once the electric organ comes in)! Definitely one of my favorite tracks so far! Apparently Phil Volk took over lead vocalist duties for this on, and he does a great job.

9. "Louie, Go Home" - A very Mod-Beat/Psychadelic number with echo-y vocals, twangy guitars, and of course vocal harmonies and electric organ work. I really like the cool Psych-Waltz tone change that happens about a minute in! Great all around!

10. "Take A Look At Yourself" - Another fun Skiffle type mover that has a fun tone and pace to it (and easily could have been a hit for one of the Merseybeat bands of the time).

11. "Melody For An Unknown Girl" - Ending the album is a slow Jazz instrumental with a fun spoken intro (where they explain that the song was written for a girl they haven't even met yet, which is really sappy).

Well there you have it! This is actually a really great album with a nice variety of songs on it, and it's one of the rare albums where I wouldn't want to change a single thing about it (except maybe the last track...). Honestly, i'm really impressed with Paul Revere and the Raiders (I'll admit that I was a fan of them before, owning a lot of their singles, however I hadn't ever listened to any of the songs on this album before).

And now I'll get to work on the final part of Loz Nuggetz, which I'll put up later today.

Last edited by Oriphiel; 12-30-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote