Music Banter - View Single Post - What is music, what is not?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #356 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Which is relevant, how? If there is no sound, it wouldn't matter if it was John Cage up on stage, or me.
It's relevant because it makes the experience different from performance to performance if those changes are made. You said that there was no difference at all, which is not true for reasons you quoted.

Quote:
So, all that something has to be to be a composition, is a collection of symbols on a page? Cause that's all they are if they're not actually causing anything to happen.
Well it's a guideline for the performers, so the piece is causing them to abstain from playing their instruments for the duration of the piece. Not to mention the differences that I pointed out before changing the group altogether. I think it's also important to consider the perspective of the performer in these types of compositions, whereas you're viewing it solely from a listener's perspective, which may be why we see the situation so differently.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote