Music Banter - View Single Post - My Album/Song Of The Day
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
Machine
moon lake inc.

Day 29

Neutral Milk Hotel - Naomi

Sorry for missing yesterday's post I got home and fell the **** asleep so oopsie.

Naomi comes off of Neutral Milk Hotel's first album On Avery Island, and by sweet mother of things that morally questionable it's my favorite goddamn NMH song. Go away Everything Is, get outta here In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and any track that inhibits it. Piss off Ferris Wheel On Fire, I will take this one track over all if it. I find it impossible to form words when praising this song, but alas I must try. Opening with that amazing chord progression that I can never seem to get out of my head (EVER). And those lyrics are really haunting and somewhat creepy "Your prettiness is seeping through, out from that dress I took from you, so pretty". After the first verse the stupid fun high energy part comes with a chord progression that you can't help but smile a bit to, yet the wavering sense of unease and creepy behavior does not let up, in fact with the new melody things seem to get much darker (or so it seems it's so hard to read into just exactly what Mangum is talking about sometimes). Take this for example "I'm hoping see will explode into one billion tastes and tunes. One billion angels come and hold her down, they could hold her down until she cries." if that doesn't do it for ya how about this "I'm tasting Naomi's perfume, it tastes like ****, and I must say, she comes and goes most afternoons". The song is undeniably creepy upon further listens and explorations into the very worded land of Mangum's psyche, yet you can't help but sing along joyously to the uplifting melody's and instrumental landscapes it provides.

Machine is offline   Reply With Quote