Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck in the Garage...
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #47 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Default Post-Punk

I'm back once again, with more odd retro Avant-Garde Rock music to satisfy your thirst for the weird and wonderful! That's right, today we'll be delving back into the ultra-strange world of Post-Punk! Why? Well, I didn't really do the genre justice with it's first entry, did I? For starters, it was mostly centered around plain old Punk, and lastly it was kind of light on content (since I brought a short EP, and all). So you see, Post-Punk deserves another chance to shine before we dive back into Garage Rock. Last time, we looked at the Modernettes, so I thought it would be fun to look at a band with a very similar name...

The Story So Far

Fun fact: This album is where I got the name for the stats sections on the first page!

The Mo-dettes! This all-girl group of Post-Punkers came together at the tail end of the seventies, right when the scene was in full swing. Comprised of guitarist Kate Korris (who got her start in the infamous Punk band The Slits), vocalist Ramona Carlier (with her trademark Swiss accent), drummer June Miles-Kingston, and bassist Jane Crockford, these ladies attracted the attention of (who else?) John Peel, who I believe I have mentioned before in this journal. Anyway, while they were relatively obscure, they scored a major hit with the single "White Mice", which was popular enough in dancing clubs that they followed up on it by cutting a special Disco version. Backed by John Peel's support and radio coverage, they developed a good following and apparently put on a mean live show. However, due to line-up issues (one member left, another got married, one was replaced, you know the drill), the band seemed to fall apart almost all at once, in the early eighties. Before they split up, they managed to release a slew of singles, as well as cutting an LP and having a "Peel Session". Well, shall we begin?

The Mo-dettes! If you couldn't already tell by the "Fish and Chips" sign in the background, they were from the UK.

1. "Fandango" - The first song of the album kicks off with a great dancing beat, as well as a strong bassline! With Ramona's vocals, the song takes on a very weird feeling, but... it's kind of charming, actually. I can't understand a single word she's saying, but it's kind of the perfect type of vocals for a band like this. I mean, could you imagine anyone else singing for them?

2. "Satisfy" - Another odd-ball yet charming track, this one is a Pop-Punk number with the drums taking the forefront over the bass this time around. Again, Ramona adds her super strange vocals to the mix. She kind of sounds like what would happen if Joey Ramone turned into a lady and then got drunk, and it's glorious!

3. "Dark Park Creeping" - A fun Post-Punk crawler with a bit of a bite to it, I actually prefer the "naked" version in their Peel Session. Still, the bassist and drummer are actually very talented, and they really add a solid grounding to these strange songs.

4. "Kray Twins" - This number goes for that old-world haunting-crawler feeling, and it's another track that is kind of hurt by the effects over Ramona's voice (honestly, their songs really do sound way better naked). Still, the vocal harmonics in the background are a nice touch, and the bass work (especially during the break) is top-notch.

5. "Paint It Black" - Wait, what? Paint it Black? Well, I wasn't expecting a Rolling Stones song to pop up in a Post-Punk album... Anyway, it uh... Kinda sounds like the original? I mean, it's probably their strangest song yet, but it's still kind of catchy.If you're in the mood for something really odd, definitely give this one a spin some time.

6. "White Mouse Disco" - This is the special "Disco" version of White Mice, and while it definitely achieves it's goal of speeding up and smoothing over the original, it kind of lacks it's odd charm. So if you like "normal" music, this will probably be your favorite track of the album.

7. "Bedtime Stories" - A little more slow and melancholy than their last few tracks, the band kind of benefits from keeping themselves restrained once in awhile rather than just always going all out. This one has a bit of a Ska beat and sound to it, especially during the chorus, and the experimentation is welcome!

8. "Masochistic Opposite" - Definitely going for an odd and jarring beat, this track certainly has their brand of madness to it. And honestly, I kind of love this one! It's really catchy, and again the bass guitarist knows how to keep things moving at a great pace. This is my favorite track of the album so far!

9. "Foolish Girl" - I can't even explain just how odd this band really is. It's like a Disco drummer, a Funk bassist, a Punk guitarist, and an Avant-Garde singer just started playing music together for kicks. It shouldn't work, but it does. Don't ask me how, but tracks like this are just so catchy and fun that instead of being anchored down by their strangeness, they wear it proudly like a badge!

10. "Norman (He's No Rebel)" - Another quick and jarring tune with a killer bass-line (Man, I really have a thing for their bassist, don't I?), this one was also one of the songs included in their Peel Session, making the radio rounds in the Indie scene of the UK.

11. "Sparrow" - Similar to "Kray Twins", this is another slow haunting number that goes for a dark sound. Though not as fast and catchy as some of the other tracks on the album, it definitely has a sound of it's own.

12. "Mi'lord" - I think Ramona is singing in French here, as this is a cover of a song from France. I, uh... Really don't know what to say. I could just compliment the bassist again, but this time round I think I'll compliment their great tone shifts in the middle and at the end.

13. "Bitta Truth" - Another great stand-out track of the album, this one brings their signature odd-vocals and killer bass playing into a perfect and catchy mix. Apparently, this was the B-Side to their Paint it Black single (I personally think it should have been the other way around).

14. "Two Can Play" - Heh, the Mo-Dettes are probably the most interesting Disco-centric band I've ever heard! Strange as they were, they definitely knew how to lay down a fun beat to dance to.

15. "Tonight" - Love the organ work! With weird ultra-clean harmonies (that may just be sound effects), and lyrics that I can almost kinda understand, this is another catchy number where Ramona randomly starts singing in French (Okay, i'm like %90 sure she's Swiss. But maybe I was wrong and she's actually French?).

16. "Waltz in Blue Minor" - Do I even need to use the word "strange" as an adjective for their songs anymore at this point? Anyway, if you're looking for the difference between Punk and Post-Punk bands, this is a great example: No Punk band would ever have the balls to do a Waltz! And what a Waltz it is...

17. "White Mice" - That is just the catchiest bass-line I've ever heard! Fast, furious, and dripping with their trademark unusual-charm, this is probably the strongest track of the album. A fantastic hit, it has the side benefit of being almost impossible to describe to someone else. You just kinda have to hear it! Great vocal harmonies, by the way!

Their White Mice/Masochistic Opposite single! Fun fact: They had a habit of putting comic strips on the backs of their 45's.

Well... That was interesting. I'm sure half of you are now either in love with Post-Punk, or are plotting to bury all Post-Punk singles and LP's somewhere in the desert! While this album is definitely not something that everyone will like, as it's very strange, experimental and risky on their part, it still has an undeniable charm to it that gives The Mo-Dettes a very fresh and unique sound! I highly recommend this album, but I really think you should sample it before you plunge in.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote