Music Banter - View Single Post - can someone explain to me again why grime isn't rap?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #33 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Could you not apply this to most genres? Including Hip-Hop.
yea all genres have their influence... i'm saying the format of dude rapping over a beat was what defined hip hop and as far as i know grime is the only other 'genre' so far to have the same exact format.

Quote:
No.

& KRS is of Jamaican origin, he was probably influenced by toasting himself like these guys were.

I'm not denying the MC's were influenced by the Americans & Hip-Hop because they clearly were but I've made a point that I'm not talking about the MC's, I don't care about them, they don't make the genre, the Grime producers do. The MC's just vocal whatever is 'in'. That's why they've all fucked off to make Trap now.

When I say Grime, I am referring to the instrumental side which is a legitimate genre in it's own right. You're probably referring to the whole 'scene'. I'd say it's London/UK accented Hip-Hop to a certain extent.

But in terms of the genre, if you think Grime is Rap, by default you should think Dubstep is also.
alright, fair enough. i hadnt considered that people only listen to it for the beats.

Quote:
"Rap is something you do, Hip-Hop is something you live" - KRS-One.
do i have to dig up a quote of a rapper referring to hip hop music as rap to refute this or are you willing to just let this semantics point drop?

Quote:
Lauryn Hill's first record is considered to be Hip-Hop but there is next to no rapping on it. Same for the Incredible Bongo Band's 'Apache'.
yea there are some weird exceptions/extensions of the genre that really don't seem to fit but overall my point stands.

Quote:
Linkin Park's 'In The End' has rapping on it but it is not a Hip-Hop record.
...right... i wasnt saying rapping isnt also a style of vocals

Quote:
There is Hip-Hop on it, Fix Up Look Sharp for example.

It's 90% Grime though.
i suppose i don't really hear the difference since hip hop has a variety of sounds to it. i'm just wondering how different you have to make a beat before it stops being considered hip hop. like i can think of underground american rap aritsts that sound less similar to most rap music than dizzee rascal does.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote