Music Banter - View Single Post - can someone explain to me again why grime isn't rap?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
lol i'm too lazy to look up random rap lyrics after 12 hours of work. so im going to take the lazy route and say my basic point was that yea krs said that **** but really people call hip hop rap music all the time. it's a common term, they're basically interchangeable. krs is a legend but at the end of the day the common public dictates the meaning of words more than any one dude. so rap is another word for hip hop. you can like it or dislike it but it is what it is.
I haven't denied this tbh. It is true. But posting a rapper referring to Hip-Hop as Rap doesn't refute what I'm saying with the points made about Lauryn Hill/Linkin Park.

Quote:
going back to the grime thing, i am about ready to concede the point and i think it was even you who explained it to me last time i just really don't think about it the same i guess. cause it seems like the emphasis with you and urban is all on the beats. where as i would say in rap the beat is important yea but the emphasis is really on the rapper. and i thought grime was the same way but maybe i am wrong.
It's not just 'me and urban'. There are instrumental Grime labels, DJ's and producers that are pushing this sound. It's it's own thing.

I mentioned Dubstep for a reason, I could post in more depth about the origin of both being the same, the sounds overlapping and so on, but people acknowledge Dubstep as a genre and form of EDM in it's own right and I haven't ever seen anyone claim it's a form of Hip-Hop, or Rap if you like.

Grime is the same but, it's also an umbrella term. If you look on here at related Grime threads, you'll see people referring to Sway, Skinnyman, Giggs etc as Grime. If that's the way you see it then I see your point, because that is obviously regional Hip-Hop.

Some examples of the difference between the two - German Whip. We've all heard it. It's passed off as Grime but it is not, it is clearly Hip-Hop (it's actually a bite of Niggas in Paris and even the production doesn't resemble archetypal Grime music). British Grime journalists are labelling it as such but it is not Grime.

Maniac - Gunslap. I can't see how this could be seen as anything to do with Hip-Hop in any way, and it is taken from the album 'New Age Grime'.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote