Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 30 (ish) Favorite Albums Of 2014
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

20. Fish On Friday - Godspeed

Put On A Playlist With: The Alan Parsons Project

Now here's something pretty swell: some modern mellow art-rock in the vein of early 80's Alan Parsons Project or perhaps a less obtuse Pink Floyd. Nice vocals, solid production with a dash of contemporary synths, lots of cool details if your paying attention too. I suppose there must be something pretty snazzy in the water over in the Netherlands, because these guys are incredibly engaging on Godspeed's best moments.

19. Nightbringer - Ego Dominus Tuus

Put On A Playlist With: Emperor, mid 90's Ulver, early Opeth or perhaps Enslaved

I think there's some sort of unconscious mutual prejudice amongst many metalheads that American black metal will never touch anything done in greater Europe from the early 90's through the early 00's, but I think Nightbringer are a shining example of why that train of thought is incorrect. A rather punchy yet cavernous production job and a few progressive touches here and there on the arrangements are a few things you'll notice immediately, but the whole album is a helluva trip: highly recommended.

18. Dirty Loops - Loopified

Put On A Playlist With: Stevie Wonder, Lady Gaga, Dimension, The Reign Of Kindo, School Food Punishment, early Backstreet Boys, 70's jazz-fusion

In contemporary pop music's darkest hour, an era where musicianship and interesting ideas are shoved off the radio in favor of endless replays of whatever Taylor Swift or her contemporaries are peddling...one trio of young Swedish dudes have stepped up to bat with a combination of killer pop hooks and jazzy instrumental chops so sharp they'll take your head clean off. They are Dirty Loops...and they are here to stay. Amen!

17. Kayo Dot - Coffins On IO

Put On A Playlist With: Scott Walker, Swans, Depeche Mode, The Cure

Toby Driver's latest reconstruction of the Kayo Dot universe is equal parts witching hour jazz and John Carpenter-esque synthesized nightmare fuel that constantly sounds like its on the verge of unraveling into pure and utter chaos. In other words, top shelf avant-garde entertainment and the best material I've heard from him since the maudlin of the Well days.

16. Casualties Of Cool - Casualties Of Cool

Put On A Playlist With: early Fleetwood Mac, Johnny Cash, Comus, Honeychurch...and a lot of other vastly disparate acts across multiple genres.

Can Devin Townsend do no wrong? I've been convinced for a few years now that he's a living, breathing example of what it means to be at the top of your craft...perhaps above all others. Like the infamous Frank Zappa, "Heavy Devy" has a seemingly endless amount of creativity, dedication and drive to bring incredible music to life both in and out of his typically zany and catchy-as-fuck approach to metal. In the case of Casualties Of Cool, you can add 70's West Coast rock n' roll, experimental jazz and old school outlaw Country to his list of conquered frontiers. Absolutely phenomenal album experience, right up there along with my top 10 this year...

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-19-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote