Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuff That Is Awesome
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 02:01 AM   #1104 (permalink)
Sequoioideae
An Butthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
This is basically synth patches, sequence banks and arpeggios pre-programmed on each instrument to form the full song and transition options as a whole when all allowed to be output together. The mixer is used to bring each element in at your choosing. The effects can be tweaked at will. It's basically like writing a song before-hand, then using something to control how it "happens".

Some live-PA sessions will have a synth or two available to actually play an instrument part live on the instrument used in the studio, but that's mostly to add either a more realistic "live performance" feel or to add the option to make on-the-spot changes.

In short, all live-PA is is someone manually directing a pre-written song versus just letting a recording play. With the option of deviating or, in some cases, creating content on the spot, which is not what is happening here aside from spontaneous FX and directing, as far as I know, since I don't have a recorded version to compare to.
I'm more just baffled that this was all done on hardware. I know it's entirely possible, but it's time consuming, expensive, and somewhat unnecessary. I don't even know what else he has going on in that set-up that he didn't show, but that kind of stuff takes serious dedication. I was considering getting a mixer myself so I could do this kind of stuff with pre recorded guitar, synth, samples, and stuff and do live improv jams.

God Is My Solar System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
"check yr fucking posable limbs privilege you ****s"
Sequoioideae is offline   Reply With Quote