Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #2624 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Blues Noel (John Zorn) from I don't know, the guy has like 400 fucking albums!!!

Frownland is always going on about Zorn, and I know he mostly seems to concentrate in the jazz arena, so didn't expect to like this. But to be honest I don't know what to think: it starts with a sort of jam with a crowd in attendance, then becomes a jazz piano rag, then descends into some sort of experimental-y stuff, then back to piano, with some freaky bass, sleigh bells, then ... ah, hell! Listen to the YouTube! I can't describe this. Good though. Mostly.

Batty, not surprisingly, suggested a slew of Heavy Metal Christmas songs, but I did “Have yourself a Metal little Christmas” last year, and let's be honest: metal Christmas songs are just that, metal Christmas songs. They're not necessarily weird or strange. Halford, Snider, Lemmy and Dickinson can sing about Christmas all they want, but it does not make their songs weird. This, however, is another matter entirely.

Little drummer boy (Christopher Lee) from the album “Revelation”, 2006

Christopher Lee is of course best known for his phenomenal acting career, particularly playing the bad guy, so it's no surprise (well, it is, but not as much as it could have been) that when he decided to try his hand at music he would step into the Heavy Metal arena. This is from an album released in 2006 that includes metal versions of such standards as “My way”, “Wanderin' star” (remember Lee Marvin, um, singing this?) and “Oh what a beautiful morning”, but it also has this gem on it. This guy could teach some metal bands a thing or two! Class! Yeah. Unfortunately the only versions I can find are edited ones that seem to mix the two “sides” of the single, so you get bits of it and also “Silent Night”. Great to hear, but I'd rather hear the full “Little drummer boy”. Boo!

This certainly qualifies as strange. Can't track down an album but it seems to be mostly screeching guitar and feedback noises with angry shouted voices: punk, one would assume. Not my thing but definitely Weird with a capital W!

“All I got was clothes for Christmas” (The Happy Flowers)