Music Banter - View Single Post - Atheism and its negative stigma...
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #163 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
Hey I don't believe in God either, because, as you'd expect, of the lack of evidence. The only thing I'm saying is that I think it's foolish for anyone to say that there is or isn't with 100% certainty.
I don't think there are very many people who would say that it's 100% certain that there isn't a god. I'd go so far as to call it a strawman argument to criticize atheists for that. Atheists who actively believe that there is no god generally feel that the lack of evidence for god and evidence for a naturalistic universe are convincing enough that they feel comfortable saying that he doesn't exist, but would stop short of calling it a certainty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
Basically, gonisticism and theism are independent axes
You can be one of four things: gnostic atheist, gnostic theist, agnostic atheist, agnostic theist. The point is to separate belief from knowledge. A/theism is about belief a/gnosticism is about knowledge. A gnostic atheist is more likely to be a militant atheist becauase they think they know best. Similarily, gnostic theists are more likely to engage in extremist behavior to force their beliefs on others. Whereas agnostics on both side or more likely to have a co-existence mentality.
For the most part, there is no such thing as a gnostic atheist. It's simply not a philosophical position that makes any sense to say that you know god doesn't exist. Even the most militant atheists would only describe themselves as agnostic atheists unless either A.) they had a different definition of "gnostic atheist", or B.) they were an idiot.

One other thing that picks at my brain. I can respect the logic behind being agnostic, but the basic idea of someone being able to remain completely undecided about such an important and defining concept as the existence of a god seems ludicrous to me. Your certainty might not be strong, but I just don't think the human brain can keep you from forming an opinion one way or the other, just because your logic might tell you that your belief was irrational.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote