Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuff That Is Awesome
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #1106 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
I'm more just baffled that this was all done on hardware. I know it's entirely possible, but it's time consuming, expensive, and somewhat unnecessary. I don't even know what else he has going on in that set-up that he didn't show, but that kind of stuff takes serious dedication. I was considering getting a mixer myself so I could do this kind of stuff with pre recorded guitar, synth, samples, and stuff and do live improv jams.
It's not really baffling if you stop and think about it. Before the advent and popularization of computer-based production, it was always done on hardware synths. One was only limited by how much hardware they could afford. But nowdays, people are still doing the same things you see in the video, except it's all happening in a software environment and with more automation than a strictly hardware-based environment.

Basically, what you see in that video is just a more laborious way to do the same thing in software. The sonic characteristics may be different in either, but the overall result is possible either way. Technology has just allowed us to be able to do things easier. But as far as actually creating the sounds, the same process is involved whether on hardware or software. The only thing that's happening here in the video is a manual execution of the song.