Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Local Bands
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #159 (permalink)
billyjerome
Audio Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
In San Diego we have a thriving jazz community. Some of my favorites are pianist Joshua White and drummer Nathan Hubbard, I've seen both multiple times.
What are some good jazz clubs to visit? I am in the process of planning a trip out west and would love to see some local jazz! That almost never fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
The problem with where I live is that every band seems to be so far underground that there isn't too much of a scene to be had. Me and a few friends are trying to start up a collective of all artistic people we can find.
How is progress on this? I would be interested in seeing what you come up with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
In Dundee we have a small but ambitious music scene largely overshadowed by Glasgow's, Scotland's largest city, just two hours away. There are a small batch of bands that play the same two or three venues. These come in two categories; local upstarts which vary from dreadful to good, and overflow from the Glasgow scene which are almost always great.
Local bands can be small and unknown to the rest of the country or quite successful, though still holding a soft sentiment for Dundee. Glasgow bands also come in both categories too, though even the smaller ones still seem more matured. Just the other night I went and saw three fantastic bands, two from Glasgow and one Dundonian. Halfrican who I was familiar with from a compilation put out by a Glasgow venue, Bar Bloc+. Great energy, but all three are firm in that category. ****hawks are the local band. Deathcats were the third and the headliners, playing their penultimate show. A really great band with bounds of charisma. Very fun, and one of the best local gigs I have ever attended. Nice people too, the people that attend these nights.Vladimir are another good band, getting a bit bigger. Having supported The Fall in Manchester and The Twilight Sad.
Other bigger Glasgow bands that have come through more than once are Paws and The Amazing Snakeheads. Both respectable. Paws are incredibly capable on record but lacking in live talent. Snakeheads are the complete opposite, bland on record but really a sight to behold live. Front man Dale Barcley snarls on stage like an angry dog, and is truly unpredictable. One minute staring lustfully at an audience member the next down on his knees wiping away tears as he sings. I enjoy the scene, to an extent. Though I am a bit of an outsider not knowing the bands particularly well.
What styles of music are these bands? Any examples? I am interested in checking them all out!

Last edited by billyjerome; 12-22-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Add quote
billyjerome is offline   Reply With Quote