Music Banter - View Single Post - Nothing More
Thread: Nothing More
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I agree, there is no need to look for influences, espeacially if none are obvious or stand out and grab you. So many different bands do sound so much like others before them, it sonetimes just seems natural in the generic world of mainstream/popular nusic.
I was reading an article that suggested their style was kind of in the middle of heavy and proggy.

Good review. I'm glad you took the time out to listen to them and post one.

Well done.
You talking about my review of their album in my journal that I have neglected to update? I had actually listened to their album countless times over to see if I could say in any way what Nothing More sound like, because they don't sound like any band right now. People could speculate and say what bands they think they hear in Nothing More and their music, but the truth is, Nothing More actually has THEIR sound. I think it is fine to say they can sound a bit like prog rock, that's a fair comparison I think. I even hear a little doom metal in some way or another in some parts of their songs off of the album. Go back and listen close, you'll hear it. It isn't that it sounds like doom metal, but you can hear this little bit of influence of it.

And the problem with mainstream music of today, is that it has become alright or acceptable to just sound like what is popular. You get signed to a major label with the idea that you'll record the album you want, well, you'll be disappointed because they wont let you do that. But, Nothing More is proof that an original band with a sound their own can still make an impact in the industry. But the label they are signed with are a lot more about supporting the bands that aren't wanting to sound like every popular band on the radio. It's a good thing. But the industry has become a shallow thing, lot of bands go in with original ideas, but they get persuaded to sound like Nickelback or Papa Roach if they want to get radio play and sell records, or get those big national tours. Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails fame knows a lot about the industry, and he could tell you that the advantage to being with a major label only goes as far as what can only be done with a major label, that a band can't do or will have a lot of struggle doing independently. Trent Reznor would advise pretty much anyone to avoid big record contracts, go to an independent label that isn't just subsidiary of some major label, but to sign to a truly independent label ran by people that are about artistic growth and originality. Major labels come with so many strings attached and fine print that you're in debt the second you sign that dotted line. You get your album advance, but all of that pretty much gets eaten up to cover the fees of recording an album, printing the album covers and cd's, distributing, things like that. Major label contracts are the absolute wrong way to go. Avoid them.

I believe that Nothing More was approached my labels much bigger than the one they went with, but they turned every one of them down because they wouldn't sell out.

...I ranted...haha.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote