Music Banter - View Single Post - Turns out modern pop music does really suck!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
Me too, i don't really get the mindset of "Music used to be better in my days"
i mean i get most of us have a fav decade in music or genre but it doesn't mean the rest of it is crap.
When I initially made this thread I admitably was just trying to stir the pot & get a rise out of people. At the time there seemed to be a lot of sucking up to the mods going on, so I thought it would be fun to go around and take the piss out of people, but ultimately realized I'm getting too old to pull this $hit, so I'm back to being polite.

Nevertheless, I provided shreds of evidence and no one who argued against me provided a single shred of counter evidence.

Pop music too loud and all sounds the same: official | Reuters

Scientific study proves that today’s pop music really does suck | Dan from Squirrel Hill's Blog

The Quality Of Popular Music Has Declined - Starpulse.com

How Mediocrity Became the Music Industry Status Quo

http://http://mic.com/articles/95260/how-the-music-industry-is-brainwashing-you-to-like-bad-pop-songs

Soundgarden's Chris Cornell: "Contemporary Pop Music Couldn't Be Any Worse Than It Is Now" | Guitar World

Sir Elton John brands modern songwriters 'pretty awful' - News - Music - The Independent

Tony Bennett criticizes modern pop songs: "Most of them are terrible" - Music News - Digital Spy

Its not that I'm against modern pop music, I'm just opposed to rise of manufactured pop artists that permeated the music industry for the decade of the 2000's, but I did say things were getting better.

If go back in time to say the 80's (this is considered pop's high mark for a lot of people) virtually all the artists from Michael Jackson, to Duran Duran, extra, had to have some degree of musical talent & had to be able to compose their own music. There was no pro tools or wide spread sampling

When R&B took over pop with artists like Britney Spears & Usher, you had the rise of pop stars who relied on sampling & image because they couldn't compose their own songs, and utilized pro tools because they couldn't sing.

I think the reliance on sampling resulted in a huge drop in the quality in pop songs.

So I guess you would say it not old versus new, but the authentic versus the manufactured. Anyways I'm out, cheers