Music Banter - View Single Post - Turns out modern pop music does really suck!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #42 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
I agree with some of your points William, especially about writing your own stuff and how sampling ruined the quality of music a bit.

At least personally i prefer if they call it cover and do the song justice rather than just stealing it's catchy hook.
that's fine for a party song i guess but to me it seems like a cheap way to make a hit.

I don't however agree with your mindset even if 5 articles do so, like Necro mention, we have more variety nowadays.
Past music is still revered and it was great for what it was but we can't keep making that kinda music forever, music adapts to the times and right now we're living in a time where technology is at the forefront of almost anything, so yea, a kid with a music program doesn't need to know how to play the guitar in order to arrange a guitar riff in a song all he needs is a basic knowledge of song arrangement.

That's good no matter how you cut it cause it's a gateway to use their creativity in music, hopefully they'll pick up an instrument later on
Fair enough, overall I would argue that until the last couple years pop was primarily dominated by R&B, I didn't notice a ton of variety going on. You could argue that in some ways there was more variety in past decades. It seems like radio stations today are very narrow in the scope of what they play these days (Strictly pop/R&B, strictly rock, or strictly contemporary alternative)

For me it doesn't matter what genre dominates pop music so long as the pop stars have talent and compose their own music. The rise of the manufactured pop star who relied on sampling and beat boxes because they couldn't make their own music really began to drag down the bar of creativity in the 2000's, so I'm happy there has been somewhat of shift. Goyte is a perfect example of someone who has the talent to compose a good melody that uses a variety of notes, and although she utilizes sampling, Lady Gaga is another good example. She can actually get on the stage and play musical instruments.