Music Banter - View Single Post - Turns out modern pop music does really suck!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #44 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
@The Bolded Please, come off it with that horse piss. It does take a certain talent to effectively use samples in music, especially when it makes up the whole song. I'm a multi-instrumentalist, and I've tried and failed multiple times to be able to make a good track with sampling (I've looped things I've recorded but that's a bit different I guess). So it is a lot more difficult than it might seem. If you don't think so, go make a chart-topper, it's a win-win: you prove me wrong and you have all that money.

You also seem to think that all songs with sampling outright suck. Just ain't true man, edumacate yourself.
No not at all, I utilized samples back in the 90's in making my own music, & yes it does take some degree of talent, though learning how to play the guitar or piano takes more.

I use to be a huge fan of both hip hop & trip hop back of the day so I'm not opposed to sampling per say, my issue arose with it when it started to be used by major record companies as a way of supporting artists who didn't compose their own music. (Brittney Spears, Rihanna, ect) After all if you own the rights to a piece of music its cheaper to sample than it is to hire a session band.

Even when you sample a beat your simply borrowing someone else's music and building around it. This in itself is creatively stifling because you can't re-arrange the notes & sounds to your liking. I've got the same problem with DJ's who rely on the arpeggio button on their synthesizers. They can make a cool sounding Goa trance beat, but they can't do much with it because they don't know how lay chords down on their synth to make their own beat.

Personally that's why abandoned making techno music. It drove me nuts that I couldn't make my own compositions on Cubase like I could with my guitar, I found myself confined to arpeggios and samples. That and its depressing being locked up in a dark room with a sweaty guys in front of a computer, playing in a band was much more fun.