Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Book/Film/TV Show Opinions
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #278 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

ww1 is such an interesting war to me mostly because of how it portrayed as one of the first examples of modern mechanized warfare. i know it has been a gradual technological evolution but there really does seem to be a sort of climax at the beginning of the 20th century where war really stops seeming human. i'm probably mostly influenced by this essay though.

Quote:
As I sit down to write these pages I can see before me two scenes from my experience of the late war. The first is a glimpse of a forgotten battle of 1915. It has a curious suggestion of a rather bad cinema film. Through a blur of dust and fumes there appear, quite suddenly, great black and yellow masses of smoke which seem to be tearing up the surface of the earth and disintegrating the works of man with an almost visible hatred. These form the chief part of the picture, but some where in the middle distance one can see a few irrelevant looking human figures, and soon there are fewer. It is hard to believe that these are the protagonists in the battle. One would rather choose those huge substantive oily black masses which are so much more conspicuous, and suppose that the men are in reality their servants, and playing an inglorious, subordinate, and fatal part in the combat. It is possible, after all, that this view is correct.
Daedalus, or, Science and the Future
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote