Music Banter - View Single Post - Turns out modern pop music does really suck!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #57 (permalink)
Necromancer
Divination

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpig View Post
I hope I didn't come across as hostile or argumentative, it wasn't my intention.
And as the previous poster suggested, it IS a good topic of discussion (I may have been a little rash in discounting the value).
The irony in my response is that I DO feel exactly as you do about pop music.
And I would love to believe there is something timeless and true about what I grew up with and respond to, to this day.
But I think the older I get, the more I realize how absolutely everything is relative. I think valid pop music is as much about getting an emotional response as it is about technical composition.
People and society evolve, music evolves hand in hand. Everything does.
Is ball room dancing superior to disco dancing, I would say that technically it is, but that's not as relevant to me. Is disco dancing (a la Soul Train ) superior to bobbing to techno beats, I would say it is, but it's not relevant to the generation following me.
I can't listen to any comics pre 1970 ( with a couple of exceptions), but an older generation would suggest that our comedy is to foul and nasty, not clever enough.
Different times, different thinking.
I am constantly aware of the generational gap when discussing any of this stuff with younger people because everyone is living in their own times.
Sorry if this got too philosophical.
Hey man, I like your avatar.