Music Banter - View Single Post - What is music, what is not?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #485 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexx Shredd View Post
Shouldn't "music" be classified as man-made to differentiate itself? This means that a even if a person goes around with his digital audio-sampler of choice and samples found sounds, then throws them together and - although it may sound like cocaophony - it was purposefully put together, therefore music........conversely, I could walk through the woods and hear the coincidental sounds of several unrelated things that may form a "musical" melody based on the Western twelve-step form of music and - although "musical" to my ears because I am used to the Western paradigm of what constitutes it - it is still a natural anomaly with no purposeful intent and, therefore, not music
There's the rub. If 4'33 were the musicians on stage not playing, but sniffling, moving about, murmuring, snorting, farting, clanging things against music stands, etc., then it's music.

But to sit there in complete silence and completely rely on the audience and the surrounding ambient noise to provide "the music"; that's where 4'33 turns into performance art.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote