Music Banter - View Single Post - Does anyone else hate interviews?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
That John Lydon clip was quite an eye-opener to me; I had no idea what a disagreeable interviewee he was. To me he seems to alternate between being pompous, narcistic and aggressive. His attempts to shock seem rather desperate, especially as they have all been done before:-
> the clever, quotable quip by the Beatles
> the sulky and unrevealing by Procul Harem, if I remember correctly
> the too out of it to be coherent by Syd Barratt
> the unwarrented aggression by Bob Dylan
I guess like many, JL finds it easier to dismiss history than learn from it.

On the topic of celebrity interviews, I also find them tedious in the extreme. They are a PR exercise that the media forces on artists regardless of how eloquent or interesting the artist may be. Unfortunately many celebrities have an inflated opinion of themselves and are easily tricked by a hungry media into imagining that their extemporized musings are of general interest. The truth, with plenty exceptions of course, is that musicians often have trouble expressing their ideas and that actors, while generally more polite than musicians, are never quite as interesting as the characters they play on screen.

It´s a humbling lesson that many celebrities never learn, but in reality they are often no more interesting than the pizza delivery boy: he holds my attention while he´s delivering the pizza, but I really don´t want to hear his opinions on life, love and the pizza business.
John Lydon is amazing to watch on camera. He's like the worst person to ever talk to.

Some vintage footage.

Right here he's supposed to be promoting a video game or something.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote