Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #2637 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

When I started this section originally its purpose was to look at songs whose lyrics focussed on, shall we say, unusual themes, then it became a case of questioning what a song was all about when I touched on Duran Duran's “The Reflex”. Now, I'd like to widen that scope somewhat, by examining song whose lyrics are neither obscure nor odd, and which can easily be understood and are written about normal themes, but that within those lyrics still produce the same reaction, one that can only be summed up in the phrase

On the face of it, this is a song written, perhaps autobiographically, or at least semi-autobiographically, as a performer prepares to go on tour, leaving his fiance behind. He's sad to go, and unable to face months or longer without her, wakes her one more time as his taxi waits outside to take him to the airport. All tender and loving and very well and good on the face of it.

On the face, I say, of it.

But look deeper now with me into the true message behind the song...

Leaving on a jet plane --- Peter, Paul and Mary --- written by John Denver --- 1969

Oddly enough, not a hit or even released as a single by the country legend, this song became a huge hit for Peter, Paul and Mary at the tail-end of the sixties and certainly served to raise Denver's profile. But it's the second verse that disturbs me, where Denver blithely confesses to having not one, not two, but “so many” affairs, and he does this as he cravenly prepares to leave his lover for some time, as she is only half-awake. We only ever hear his side of the conversation, and it's possibly to be supposed that the woman has not woken up and he is singing to her while she sleeps (another layer of cowardice to add to if so) but let's just envisage the full text here, and fill in what I believe would be the woman's replies.

To keep it simple, let's jump in at the second verse, because up until then, if the woman is awake, it's a fairly innocuous and loving exchange. But this is where Denver “comes clean” and where I see the trouble beginning. The woman's imagined responses are in brackets.

“There are so many times that I have let you down” (Uh, what? What do you --- yawn --- what --- what do you mean by that, honey?)
“So many times that I have played around” (Are you telling me --- are you saying you've been unfaithful? You're telling me now, as I'm only half-awake and you're on your way out the fucking door??)
“I tell you now, they don't mean a thing.” (Oh well you would say that wouldn't you? If they don't mean a thing why did you have the affairs? I tell you what, they mean something to me! They mean you can't keep it in your pants, you cocky little fucker!)
“Every place I go I will think of you” (Yeah, while you're banging your latest conquest in whatever seedy hotel room you take her --- or them --- to! You make me sick!)
“Every song I sing I will sing for you” (Save it pal! Sing your songs --- which, while we're being all honest and forthright here, I never cared for --- to your little groupie sluts!)
“When I come back I'll bring your wedding ring” (The only thing you can bring me --- other than fucking syphilis from all the whores you've fucked --- is your dick on a platter, you cunt!)
“So kiss me and smile for me” (Like fuck! Why should I? You bastard!)
“Tell me that you'll wait for me” (Like YOU waited for ME when you were on tour last time? Why should I? Garry down the road has always been eyeing me up, and you know what? This time I'm gonna let him get what he wants. See how YOU like it!)
“Hold me like you'll never let me go” (I'll hold your fucking balls in a vise, you scumbag!)
“Cause I'm a leavin' on a jet plane” (Don't let me stop you: airport's that way)
“Don't know when I'll be back again” (Hopefully never. With a bit of luck your plane will crash and I won't have to ever hear your whiny voice again!)
“Oh babe I hate to go”. (Sure you do. Just get the fuck out of my house and don't bother ever coming back! I'm going back to sleep. You know where the door is. And tell that fucking taxi to stop blowin' his horn or I'll come down there and make him eat his licence plate! Go fuck yourself!)

After all, how weak and ineffectual an apology/admission is this, that he waits until he is leaving, until the taxi is actually outside, waking her up to say “Bye honey oh and by the way I've screwed a lot of women over the years we've been together, but it doesn't matter cos they meant nothing, and on my return we'll be married. How does he think he's going to get away with that?

Yeah, I know: I need help!