Music Banter - View Single Post - Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #73 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

HEAVY METAL MANIAC by Exciter
Genre: Speed metal, heavy metal, thrash metal.
Released: 1983.
Position in Discography: Debut album.
Imagine a speed metal version of Mötley Crüe and this is what you get. It is pretty good honestly. The stage is set with "Holocaust," an intro track, and it begins with the sound of wind before some psychedelic guitars clatter in, then some grinding guitar work fueled by outstanding basslines play before we move into the first song. Remember when I said this is like the speed metal version of Mötley Crüe? Well, as soon as singer Dan Beehler comes in you will assuredly be thinking Vince Neil. The vocals even have that echoey sound that sounds very similar to Crüe. The guitars are grinding, the song is fast paced with a powerful beat, and the instrumentation never falters. Exactly what I want in a metal album.

Now the first track that really grabs me would be "Iron Dogs" (and with a name like that, how can it not be good right?). With a mighty, grinding riff that is the driving force of the song, this song chuggs along aided by some solos here and there. Around the three-minute mark, the song ramps up to speed metal...speed, and it's even better than the first part.

The chugging and squealing solos continue on for many tracks until we hit "Black Witch" which turns in the speed for a mid-paced, chugging, anthemic power ballad, complete with a searing solo. Wow! After that, is a good closing track in "Cry of the Banshee."

Overall, there is not a bad song on this album. Many of the songs sound similar, but the track order is very good, and just when you might be bored, songs like "Iron Dogs", and "Black Witch" will perk you up again. I mentioned the powerful basslines earlier, but let me just say it again... the bass on this album is powerful, thick, and heavy, as are the drums. It is something you must hear.

/5
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote