Music Banter - View Single Post - Win The Batlord Over to Prog
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #57 (permalink)
Musicwhore A-Z
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Do you like Dream Theater, and I'd you do could you tell me why. I'm really truly interested because everything I've heard by them I've detested and I don't really have a good reason, the playing is excellent singing is usually good, but I feel like they make their songs over dramatic, and the 10 minute songs are just 3 minute songs and the rest is soloing.
Thanks for responding 'Machine'. To answer your question, I think Dream Theater are okay, but nothing truly special to me. I only have 'Images And Words' and have only seen them once, in July 2005, on 'Gigantour'. For the reasons you and others have stated, I just think they're more concerned with showing off their chops than writing great songs. That said, I certainly respect what they've done and they've unquestionably built a loyal following on their own terms. MANY artists wish they could do that.

A band I mentioned in my earlier post who I think find the PERFECT balance between "chops" and SONGS is King's X. Like Rush, the musicianship is top notch, and there are certainly progressive elements in their music as well. However, it's the SONG that matters the most. Because of that, the "musicianship" shines even more, in my opinion. For that reason alone, I think King's X put Dream Theater to shame, and also have the chops to match, contrary to what many in the "prog rock" community would say. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys in Dream Theater themselves admitted that. But I digress ( ). Great comments everybody pro and con.
Musicwhore A-Z is offline   Reply With Quote