Music Banter - View Single Post - Win The Batlord Over to Prog
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #60 (permalink)
Machine
moon lake inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Batty, stay away from Dream Theater. They're exactly the sort of band to make you think this was a bad idea after all. Much of what they do is definitely just technical wankery and not even that melodic. Showing off for the sake of it.

See above, same explanation. Wankers.
Yeah that pretty much sums up my feelings of the band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicwhore A-Z View Post
Thanks for responding 'Machine'. To answer your question, I think Dream Theater are okay, but nothing truly special to me. I only have 'Images And Words' and have only seen them once, in July 2005, on 'Gigantour'. For the reasons you and others have stated, I just think they're more concerned with showing off their chops than writing great songs. That said, I certainly respect what they've done and they've unquestionably built a loyal following on their own terms. MANY artists wish they could do that.

A band I mentioned in my earlier post who I think find the PERFECT balance between "chops" and SONGS is King's X. Like Rush, the musicianship is top notch, and there are certainly progressive elements in their music as well. However, it's the SONG that matters the most. Because of that, the "musicianship" shines even more, in my opinion. For that reason alone, I think King's X put Dream Theater to shame, and also have the chops to match, contrary to what many in the "prog rock" community would say. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the guys in Dream Theater themselves admitted that. But I digress ( ). Great comments everybody pro and con.
I guess I was never really into the technical aspects if prog, I more like the complicated structures, and rythmic patterns. It's why I've always leaned towards bands like Tool, who are all great players, but even in their 10 minute songs they don't show off, they feel like a piece that just happens to be that long.
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote