Music Banter - View Single Post - Win The Batlord Over to Prog
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #73 (permalink)
Machine
moon lake inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'd also like to know what recs would fall under "prog for prog's sake", and what is progressive in the sense of being truly experimental. I imagine anything Frownland suggests is probably gonna be pretty unique and innovative, and I'd be extra interested in stuff with that kind of intent, rather than just Yes worship. I intend to give that kind of stuff plenty of attention regardless, but I also don't want to just explore a bunch of genre stereotypes. That would kill my enthusiasm real quick.

I know a lot, if not all, of kraut rock is considered prog (I've definitely heard Amon Duul and Can referred to as prog bands). I've seen Boo Boo be pretty free with his definition of prog, even calling Radiohead prog (although if he was actually calling them prog or just saying that they embodied the experimental spirit of prog more than bands like Dream Theater I don't remember). Not that I'm looking to explore Radiohead in this thread (already listened to quite a bit of them anyway), but I'm just interested in getting a wider range of bands, even if pedantic prog purists might scoff at their being called prog.
I'm not all that well versed in prog, but for the weird side defiantly check out 80's King Crimson, Tool, some early Primus stuff like Pork Soda and Tales From The Punchbowl. Wankery would include Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater, and a bit of the Rush catlouge (although there is some weird **** there to).
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote